These stuffed shells are so good, you won’t miss the original! The cashew “ricotta” is made with five simple ingredients, making this dish a healthier alternative to your typical stuffed shells. All you need for the filling is:
Stuffed Shells with Cashew Ricotta
A family favorite - turned vegan! And in our opinion, better than the original.
- 1 & 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 15-16 pasta shells
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups of kale, chopped
- Thyme, to taste
- Dried basil, to taste
- Step 1 Soak the cashews in water for 4 hours.
- Step 2 Cook the pasta shells according to the instructions on the packaging. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Step 3 Pre-heat the oven to 400° F and coat the bottom of a baking dish or cast-iron skillet with 1 cup of marinara. Set aside.
- Step 4 Strain the soaked cashews and put into a food processor.
- Step 5 Add garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast & salt.
- Step 6 Blend on high until you get a creamy/ricotta consistency (you may need to scrape the sides and re-blend to get it all mixed together). If it isn’t getting creamy, add ~2-3 tbsp. of water.
- Step 7 Put the cashew ricotta in a bowl and set aside.
- Step 8 In a pan over medium-high heat, steam the kale in about an inch of water until wilted (it should take about five minutes).
- Step 9 Strain kale and add it to cashew ricotta. Mix.
- Step 10 Fill each shell with the cashew ricotta/kale mixture and place in the baking dish with the marinara.
- Step 11 Once you have filled all the shells and placed them in the baking dish, pour another cup of marinara on top of of the stuffed shells.
- Step 12 Sprinkle the dish with dried basil and thyme, to taste.
- Step 13 Cover the stuffed shells with foil and put them in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Step 14 Eat up!