Anyone else grow up eating Panera’s cheesy, creamy broccoli cheddar soup? While making sure to avoid looking at the nutrient facts? I know we’re all guilty of that!
That soup is what we were thinking about when creating this recipe – only we made it completely vegan and waaay healthier than the original. For this delish soup, you’ll need:
Onion, Garlic, & Broccoli
All Purpose Flour
Vegan Butter (we used this brand)
Rice milk (try this brand!)
Veggie stock (here is an organic option)
Vegan Cheddar cheese (we used Follow Your Heart)
And that’s all! It’s so easy to throw together and is perfect to warm up next to the fireplace with. And the best part? You don’t need to leave the house to get it!
Check out our other hearty recipes to get you through the winter months:
Get cookin’! And make sure to let us know what you think!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Broccoli cheddar soup (especially from Panera!) was a family favorite before going vegan. We made a slightly healthier yet just as delicious vegan version!
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups rice milk (unsweetened)
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1.5 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Step 1 Cook the onions and garlic on medium heat in a large pot for 5 minutes.
- Step 2 Add the butter (we used this brand) to the pot and let it melt.
- Step 3 Add the flour and mix well.
- Step 4 Stir in the vegetable broth (here is an organic option) and rice milk (try this brand!) until flour/butter mixture is completely incorporated.
- Step 5 Bring mixture to a boil.
- Step 6 Bring soup back to medium heat and add broccoli & carrots.
- Step 7 Cook for 10 minutes.
- Step 8 Add cheddar cheese (we love Follow Your Heart) and stir until cheese is completely melted.
- Step 9 Blend about 1/4 of the soup and add back to the pot. Stir well.
- Step 10 Serve, add salt & pepper to taste and enjoy! We love to add croutons or bread to the soup when serving.