Because what’s better than a delicious AND healthy version of your favorite comfort food? Oh, and did we mention that it can easily be made gluten-free?! Just sub the soy sauce for liquid aminos (we love this brand) and use a gluten-free pasta (click here for our favorite brand) instead of a regular one!
With the following simple ingredients, you will have the yummiest cashew cheeze sauce that we promise you’ll love:
Raw Cashews, here is an organic kind
Nutrional yeast, we use this brand
Mac 'n Cashew Cheeze with Marinated Tempeh
If you love carbs and (healthy) creamy cheeze sauce, then this recipe is for you!
- For the cashew cheeze:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 1.5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tbsp. sea salt
- For the marinated tempeh:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (sub liquid aminos if gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 oz. package of tempeh (if you're gluten-free, double check the ingredients of your tempeh as they occasionally contain wheat)
- 2 cups (uncooked) pasta (sub gluten-free if needed)
- Sriracha, optional for topping
- Step 1 Put cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Let sit for 3-4 hours.
- Step 2 While the cashews are soaking, combine all ingredients for the tempeh marinade in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Step 3 Slice tempeh into about 1/2 inch thick slices and place in marinade (shaking the bowl a bit so that they all get covered). Cover the bowl and let sit in the fridge for about 3 hours.
- Step 4 After the tempeh has marinated, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Step 5 Once oven is pre-heated, place tempeh on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 18-20 minutes (flipping halfway to ensure it doesn’t burn).
- Step 6 Cook pasta (if gluten-free, check out this brand) according to the instructions on the box. Once cooked, strain and rinse.
- Step 7 Drain the cashews and put them into a food processor. Add in the rest of the ingredients for the cashew sauce.
- Step 8 Blend on high until the sauce is creamy and fully blended (scraping the sides and re-blending if necessary).
- Step 9 Put cheeze sauce in a large skillet or deep pan and heat over medium for a few minutes. Stir until it thickens.
- Step 10 With this is thickening, chop tempeh into bite-size pieces (if you’d like, you can save a few pieces for sandwiches or salads, as you will have plenty)!
- Step 11 Add pasta and tempeh to the cheeze sauce and mix.
- Step 12 Serve immediately! Top with a little sriracha if you want an extra kick!