It’s NATIONAL COOKIE DAY and we’re going all out.
Vegan Cookie Recipes
We have so many cookie recipes on the blog that’ll fulfill any of your vegan cookie needs. To name a few…
These Giant Triple Chocolate Cookies
In this recipe, we’re updating our classic chewy chocolate chip cookies with THREE different types of chocolate plus a good helping of flaky sea salt (we use this kind). Oh, and there’s 1/4 cup of dough in each cookie.
For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Cornstarch (this is the secret to making them extra chewy)
- Vegan butter (our favorite brand)
- Non-dairy milk (we love this brand)
- Brown sugar and granulated sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Vegan chocolate chips, vegan mini chocolate chips, and vegan chocolate chunks
Tips and tricks
To make these sure these turn out perfect every time, here are a few of our best tips and tricks.
Measure your flour correctly
This is the most important part of this recipe. If you incorrectly measure flour while baking, then your baked goods can turn out dry and crumbly. If you over-measure the flour in this recipe, your cookies won’t spread properly and they won’t be as soft and chewy as they should. If you under-measure flour, then your cookies will flatten too much and will be oily.
To measure flour correctly, you should spoon the flour into your dry measuring cup, then scrape off the excess flour with the back of a knife. You can read more about this method in this blog post.
Use vegan butter spread or vegan butter sticks, softened
In baked goods, we often call for vegan butter and will often specify whether it should be in stick form or from the tub. This is because they have different ratios of oil and water that will lead to different textures in your baked goods. For this recipe, however, you can use either butter spread out of the tub or butter sticks. The butter should be soft enough to mix well with other ingredients – if using butter sticks, let it sit out for 30 minutes to an hour prior to use. If using butter spread that is soft right out of the fridge, then no need to soften. For this recipe, we typically use Earth Balance buttery spread.
Check your oven temperature
These bake at 350°F. If you notice they are not baking properly, your oven temperature may be off. You can check it with an oven thermometer.
Giant Salted Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups (281 g) all-purpose flour measured correctly*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp (5 g) cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (169 g) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) non-dairy milk
- 1 cup (220 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (168 g) vegan chocolate chips plus extra for topping
- 1/4 cup (43 g) mini chocolate chips plus extra for topping
- 1/4 cup (35 g) chocolate chunks plus extra for topping
- Flaky sea salt for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, milk, sugars, and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- Add about half of the flour mixture to the wet mixture and use a rubber scraper to combine. Add the rest and mix until combined.
- Fold in all the chocolate chips and chunks.
- Place large balls of dough (~1/4 cup each) on your baking sheet. Top each with extra chocolate and a sprinkle of salt. Want them to be extra big? Double the amount of dough and add a few more minutes to the baking time
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until they are baked to your liking. Sprinkle extra salt right when they come out of the oven.