Who needs takeout when you can easily whip up recipes like this at home?
All hail SWEET & SOUR TOFU.
We tweaked both recipes slightly to create the perfect ratio of tofu to sauce and let us tell you, this recipe does not disappoint (it may even change the mind of a tofu-hater)! Plus, you probably have most, if not all, of the ingredients in your pantry. And if you don’t, no worries, we’ve linked our favorites for you below.
For the sweet & sour sauce, all you need is the following simple ingredients:
Agave or maple syrup (we like this kind)
Soy sauce (here’s our favorite kind)
Rice vinegar (this is the kind we use)
Chili garlic sauce (optional)
Cornstarch + water
And for the tofu, you only need THREE ingredients (tofu, cornstarch, and oil)– that’s it! Sounds easy enough, right? Yep!
We make this tofu recipe all the time because not only is it easy to make, it makes the crispiest tofu EVER.
Combined with a sticky, flavorful, sweet & sour sauce, this tofu is heaven. Plus, you can use this sauce on anything you like, so get creative and get cooking! If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave us a review down below and tag us on Instagram!
If you like this recipe, check out some of our other tofu recipes:
Sweet & Sour Tofu
For the tofu
- 1 (16 oz) block firm or extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup oil of choice we like olive or canola
For the sauce
- 1/3 cup agave or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger minced
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce optional, use 2 tsp for more spice
- 2 tsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds for topping
- 1 green onion chopped, for topping
Make the crispy tofu:
- Drain and press the tofu for at least 30 minutes (follow our instructions for how to do this here).
- Cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Place the cornstarch in a mixing bowl.
- Place the tofu pieces into the mixing bowl and shake around so that all the pieces are covered in cornstarch (alternatively you can coat each piece separately).
- Heat the oil on a non-stick large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Place all of the tofu into the pan.
- Allow the tofu pieces to get crispy on the bottom side, then flip them around and allow them to crisp on every side.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and place on a plate or in a bowl. Rinse the pan and begin making the sauce.
Make the sauce:
- In the saucepan over medium heat, combine the soy sauce with the maple syrup and whisk.
- Add rice vinegar and sesame oil to the mixture and mix.
- Next, add the chopped garlic, ginger and chili garlic sauce (if using). Mix.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine the 2 tsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp water. Mix this until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch/water mixture to the saucepan and mix again.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and let the sauce cook until it becomes thick and sticky, continuously stirring while it cooks. Once it has thickened, turn the heat to low.
Combine and serve:
- Add the crispy tofu to the pan and mix until the tofu is completely coated.
- Serve as is or over cooked rice. Top with sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!