One-Pot Macaroni & Cheese
Making mac & cheese just got a whole lot easier. Not only is this mac & cheese creamy, flavorful, and downright delicious, it's made in one pot and ready in 20 minutes.
- 1 lb (16 oz; 453 g) uncooked pasta (cellantani or macaroni preferred)
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (720 mL) unsweetened, plain rice milk
- 3 cups (720 mL) water
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (optional)
- 3 cups (339 g) vegan cheddar cheese shreds (or a combo of your favorites)
- 1/2 cup (120 g) cashew cream (optional) (recipe here)
In a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
Whisk in the flour until well combined to form a roux.
Slowly add the milk while constantly whisking, then the water. Whisk in the spices and mustard. Stir in the noodles. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil.
Turn down the heat to low and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes (or more, as needed), until the noodles are cooked (a lot of the liquid will be absorbed, but some will remain).
Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted. If using, stir in the cashew cream.
Taste and add more salt and pepper, as desired. Serve warm.