Growing up, one of our favorite family meals was lasagna, so of course we had to veganize it. This dish is filled with gluten-free noodles, chickpea & cashew “ricotta” and loaded with veggies. It’s delicious, hearty, and bursting with flavor, we promise you’ll love it!
The “ricotta cheese” is made with the following simple ingredients:
Nutrional yeast, we love this brand
Raw cashews, here is a raw/organic brand
Chickpeas, we love this kind
Veggie Broth, here is an organic brand we love
So simple, why wouldn’t you make it?
Quick note for those thinking of making it (because we know you are!) – don’t forget to give yourself enough prep time to soak the cashews for an hour!
Gluten Free Chickpea & Cashew Veggie Lasagna
- 9 gluten-free lasagna noodles we used the brand DeBoles rice noodles (if not gluten free, use whatever you haver on hand)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked for 1 hour
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup spinach lightly chopped
- 1 25 oz jar of tomato sauce
- Vegan cheese for topping optional
- If necessary, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the back of the packaging (the pasta we used did not require prior cooking, so just double check instructions).
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the onions, mushrooms and garlic, cover, and cook over low-medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, until the onions are fully cooked.
- While the veggies are cooking, in a high speed blender (check out the one we prefer here!) or food processor, blend together the cashews, chickpeas, nutritional yeast, veggie broth, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt to make a thick and creamy cheese.
- Add spinach to the pan of veggies and mix well. Replace the lid and cook for about a minute, until spinach has wilted.
- Stir in the cheese mixture until everything is combined.
- Pour an even layer of tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 8×12 baking dish (not all of the sauce, just enough for a thin layer), then lay 3 noodles (side by side) on top of the sauce. Spread about a third of the cheeze/veggie mix & an even layer of sauce (amount varies depending on taste) on top of the noodles and repeat to make at least 3 layers (the cheese mixture should not be on the top of the pasta dish).
- Finish by topping with the rest of the tomato sauce and a thin layer of your favorite vegan cheese shreds, if desired.
- Cover and place in the oven for 50 minutes (or follow the instructions on noodle package).
- Uncover and let cook for 10 more minutes. Serve!