We can’t say enough good things about this recipe. Homemade crispy seitan, deliciously sweet caramelized onion, soft bell pepper slices, all doused in creamy cheese sauce and stuffed in soft hoagie rolls? Yes, please!
LOOK. AT. THOSE. DETAILS.
Add to that:
Nutritional yeast (our go-to brand)
Garlic powder, onion powder, and sage
& soy sauce to form your seitan patty
This will cook for an hour in your broth mixture – and then it’ll slice like lunch meat!
To pair with the seitan you’re gonna make caramelized onions, sautéed peppers, and cheese sauce. Thick, creamy, delicious vegan cheese sauce. Yeah, you’re gonna wanna get started on this recipe. Like now. Seriously, GO!
Note: Allow yourself 1.5 hours for the seitan to cook and cool and 30 minutes for the caramelized onions to cook.
Seitan Philly Cheesesteak
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bell pepper we used half red half yellow
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup nondairy milk we prefer rice milk
- 1 cup vegan cheese we used a combo of provolone & mozzarella
- 4 vegan hoagie rolls
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, and spices.
- Add the vegetable broth and soy sauce and mix until combined.
- Knead the mixture for a minute or so.
- Form into a rectangular patty that is about 3/4″ thick.
- In a saucepan, bring the ingredients for the broth to a boil.
- Place the seitan patty into the broth and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cover and allow to cook for about an hour, occasionally flipping.
- Once it is done, allow the seitan to cool in the broth.
- Chop the onion into thin, long pieces. Place in a saucepan and cover with the broth.
- Bring it to a boil and mix in the brown sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cover. Allow to cook until there is no more liquid in the pan (this will take about 30 minutes but trust us, it’s worth it!).
- Chop the pepper into long thin strips.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add the pepper slices to the oil.
- Cover and cook until the pieces are cooked thoroughly and are slightly brown, stirring occasionally. If the pieces are beginning to burn or sticking to the pan before they are completely cooked, add a little water to the pan.
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine & add the flour and mix to form a roux.
- Add the milk while continuously mixing. Mix together until there are no flour chunks.
- Let this mixture cook until it begins to boil then add the cheese. Cook until it is completely melted, stirring often.
Form the Subs
- Drain the seitan (feel free to reuse the broth for soup!) and thinly slice pieces of it.
- In a saucepan, add a bit of oil and pan fry the seitan slices until crispy on each side (or air fry the slices!)
- In each hoagie roll, add a few pieces of seitan (the more the better), some veggies, and a big drizzle of cheese sauce! YUM.