We don’t wanna toot our own horns, but this is possibly the best recipe for coffee cake. Ever. Vegan or non-vegan.
It’s so moist, has allll the crumb topping, and is a family-favorite.
For the cake, you’ll need:
- Nondairy milk + apple cider vinegar (vegan buttermilk! We prefer soy milk)
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder, Baking soda, Salt
- Vegan sour cream (for moistness)
- Canola oil
- And vanilla extract
And for the cinnamon streusel topping:
- Brown sugar
- Vegan butter
And for the glaze:
- Powdered sugar
- Non-dairy milk
You’re gonna make the cake batter, layer it with two layers of a cinnamon & sugar crumb topping, bake it…
…and finally, top it off with a powdered sugar drizzle!
IT’S SO GOOD. We can’t say that enough.
Enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee!
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1 cup nondairy milk + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream can sub vegan plain yogurt or vegan plain cream cheese
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup flour*
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butter cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2+ tsp nondairy milk more or less depending on consistency
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9"×12" cake pan.
Make the cake:
- Whisk together the milk and vinegar. Set aside to curdle.**
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the sour cream, oil, vanilla, and milk mixture to the flour mixture. Beat until combined.
Make the cinnamon streusel:
- In a separate bowl, add the ingredients for the cinnamon streusel.
- Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the other ingredients. You should end up with a sand-like texture.***
Make the drizzle:
- In a small bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 2 tsp nondairy milk.
- If you feel that the icing is too thick, whisk in more nondairy milk in 1/2 tsp increments until you reach the desired consistency.
Assemble the cake:
- Spread ~half of the batter around the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle ~half of the topping so that it evenly covers the batter.
- Spread the remaining batter evenly over the topping. Finally, evenly sprinkle the rest of the topping.
- Bake in the preheated for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean or with only crumbs.
- Once the cake cools (it can still be a bit warm – it’s delish warm or room temp), drizzle the icing over the cake, slice into ~20 pieces, and serve!