We don’t wanna toot our own horns, but this is possibly the best recipe for coffee cake. Ever. Vegan or non-vegan.
It’s so moist, has allll the crumb topping, and is a family-favorite.
You’ll make the cake out of:
Nondairy milk + apple cider vinegar (vegan buttermilk! We prefer soy milk)
All purpose flour
Baking powder, Baking soda, Salt
Vegan sour cream (for moistness)
And vanilla extract
You’re gonna layer it with two layers of a cinnamon & sugar crumb topping, bake it,
and finally top it off with a powdered sugar drizzle.
IT’S SO GOOD. We can’t say that enough.
Enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee!
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1 cup nondairy milk + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream can sub vegan plain yogurt or vegan plain cream cheese
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup flour*
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butter cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2+ tsp nondairy milk more or less depending on consistency
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9"×12" cake pan.
Make the cake:
- Whisk together the milk and vinegar. Set aside to curdle.**
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the sour cream, oil, vanilla, and milk mixture to the flour mixture. Beat until combined.
Make the cinnamon streusel:
- In a separate bowl, add the ingredients for the cinnamon streusel.
- Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the other ingredients. You should end up with a sand-like texture.***
Make the drizzle:
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 tsp nondairy milk.
- If you feel that the icing is too thick, whisk in more nondairy milk in 1/2 tsp increments until you reach the desired consistency.
Assemble the cake:
- Spread ~half of the batter around the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle ~half of the topping so that it evenly covers the batter.
- Spread the remaining batter evenly over the topping. Finally, evenly sprinkle the rest of the topping.
- Bake in the preheated for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean or with only crumbs.
- Once the cake cools (it can still be a bit warm – it’s delish warm or room temp), drizzle the icing over the cake, slice into ~20 pieces, and serve!