Craving Thai noodles but find that most recipes and restaurant versions contain fish sauce? Well, look no further! We created this delicious version of “drunken noodles” so that you can have all the deliciousness but without any meat or dairy.
It takes a few simple ingredients that you may already have in your fridge. If not, check out the links below of some of our favorite brands:
rice noodles (try out this brand)
vegetable broth (we like using this vegetable base)
hoisin sauce (make sure it is vegan! Check out this brand)
chili garlic sauce (we all love this one!)
agave (we like this one)
rice vinegar (we use this brand)
And that’s it!
It’s so easy to throw together – so get cooking!
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and diced optional
- 1 red or green bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 oz cooked rice noodles
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce can sub for gluten free
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce can sub tamari for gluten free option
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp cold water thoroughly mixed together to make a slurry
- chopped green onions for topping
- sesame seeds for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Press the tofu (learn how to here!)
- Dice the tofu into 1 inch pieces.
- Spread on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Heat up the sesame oil in a large pan. Add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add the red pepper and jalapeño pepper (if using). Cook for about 5 minutes, until the peppers are soft.
- Add the noodles to the veggies and cook, mixing occasionally, for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan on medium heat make the sauce. Mix together the vegetable broth, hoisin sauce, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce or tamari, agave and rice vinegar.
- Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the sauce and bring to a boil. Turn down to low-medium heat and cook for another 5 minutes or so, whisking often, until the mixture thickens.
- Take the tofu out of the oven once cooked. Stir into the veggie/noodle mixture.
- Add the sauce to the cooked noodles, veggies and tofu. Stir it all together and cook for about another minute.
- Top with sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!