Hi everyone! We tend to post a lot of food pictures and recipes on here, but we’re so much more than food and want to formally introduce each one of us! That’s why we decided to take 6 weeks to share a little bit about every one of us! Every Sunday for the next 6 weeks we will share fun facts each sister. To start, here are 10 facts about all six of us:
- We are all biological sisters!
- Our ages (from left to right in above pic): Molly (age 28), Mary-Kate (21), Emily (27), Carrie (24), Shannon (16) & Hannah (19).
- We weren’t raised vegan, but all became vegetarian first and then vegan between 3-6 years ago (after our mom who went vegetarian at 18 and was the first of us to become vegan).
- We’re a family of eleven – we have three biological brothers too!
- We were born and raised in Grosse Pointe, Michigan.
- We grew up playing tennis.
- Among all of us we have a total of 5 rescue pups.
- We love cooking vegan food for our family and friends to show just how delicious it is!
- Our favorite sports team is the Detroit Tigers.
- We started Six Vegan Sisters as a way to share our vegan food and lifestyle with others. It has become a way for us to connect with each other across states, grow our passion and skills of cooking and baking, and connect with amazing people from all over!
The response from our first #SisterFactSunday Instagram post (check it out here) was so positive and overwhelming – you guys want to know a lot about us! Hopefully this helps you get to know us a little better.
Hey guys! As some of you know, my name is Molly and I am the oldest sister at 28 years old. Here are some fun facts about me!
1. I currently live in Newport Beach, CA with my husband and 2 rescue dogs, Penelope (a toy poodle mix) and Odin (a lab/pit bull mix).
2. I am pregnant with a little boy, our first child, and we are raising him on a plant based diet.
3. We are moving back to Grosse Pointe, Michigan at the end of this month to buy a house and raise our family.
4. I have my master’s degree in education from Michigan State University (GO GREEN!) and was formerly an Elementary school teacher and behavior therapist but am transitioning to become a full time mom/blogger.
5. I taught in a first grade classroom in Cape Town, South Africa during the Summer of 2013.
6. Vegan sushi is one of my favorite foods to make & eat (although I don’t think I will ever learn how to use chopsticks).
7. I have a guilty pleasure for any crime TV shows!
8. I love to travel and have been all over the United States, Europe & Cape Town, South Africa. My favorite place was Glencoe, Scotland. We stayed in a beautiful castle there for our honeymoon.
9. Some of my favorite hobbies include reading, hiking, paddle boarding, running and “of course” cooking vegan food.
10. My husband and I are high school sweethearts. We have been together for (almost 14 years!
Hi, everyone! I’m Emily, the second oldest of the Six Vegan Sisters – I am 27 years old! Here are ten fun facts about me.
1. I am currently living in Hoboken, NJ with my husband, Jeremy and (almost) 2 year old rescue pup, Minnie. I love it here.
2. I work in marketing at Marie Claire magazine in New York City and I am so lucky to say that I absolutely LOVE my job.
3. I have lived in Michigan, Nashville, Chicago, and now, New Jersey (all over the course of four years)!
4. My favorite cuisine is anything and everything Asian – gochujang is one ingredient I cannot live without.
5. The coolest city I’ve ever visited is Singapore – I would recommend it as a travel destination to ANYONE. It is absolutely amazing (beautiful, clean and the people are so friendly and welcoming). It’s also very vegan-friendly!
6. I am obsessed with the show Fixer Upper (I love you, Chip & Jo) and pretty much any documentary related to murder (creepy, I know).
7. Before working in marketing, I worked on-camera for FOX Sports Detroit and also worked as a model while I was living in Nashville.
8. I love country music and 90’s pop.
9. My husband is one of the huge reasons I started cooking in the first place. He is also the main reason I love Asian food. Our ideal Saturday nights include staying in to cook, drinking wine, and listening to 90’s music or Elton John on our record player.
10. My husband and I just bought our first condo in Hoboken and move in two weeks. It has a huge backyard for our pup (very rare to find around here!) and we could not be more excited.
Hi everyone! I am Carrie, the third oldest. I am 24 years old. Here are some fun facts about me!
1. I live in downtown Detroit. I have lived here for about a year now. I love being in walking distance to Comerica Park, Ford Field and several vegan restaurants!
2. I live with my boyfriend, Kerry (yes, we have the same name). We have been dating for almost 3 years now and continue to confuse people on a daily basis.
3. I graduated from Michigan State University in 2016 with a degree in Journalism with a concentration in multimedia.
4. I lived in Spain and Germany for a summer through MSU study abroad. I also visited Amsterdam and Mallorca on my free weekends.
5. I love to travel. The most beautiful city I visited was Munich, Germany. Amazing gardens, several vegan food options, and of course delicious beer!
6. I work in advertising at Katz Media, under the umbrella company IHeartMedia. We put national advertisers on local TV stations.
7. I grew up playing tennis and soccer. I was an all-state tennis champion for two consecutive years in High School and continue to play recreationally now.
8. I am really interested in health and fitness. I work out 3-5 times a week and am always researching healthy alternatives to some of my favorite recipes. But I also love my cheat days!
9. My favorite food is pizza, which tends to shock non-vegans. Some people don’t understand pizza without cheese is STILL Pizza.
10. I LOVE crushed red pepper. I always have an emergency CRP in my purse and at my desk at work. Pizza, avo toast, veggies, rice, anything you name, I’ll need CRP on top!
Hi guys, M-K here! I’m the fourth sister and 21 years old. You probably already know that I’m slightly obsessed with baking, but here are ten facts about me you might not know:
1. I’m studying Computer Science and Spanish at the University of Michigan. I don’t particularly like to party, so I balance my time between school work, baking/blogging, and spending time with my friends and family.
2. I’ve had a passion for baking ever since I can remember. When I was in Elementary School, my best friend and I baked all the time and even after she moved away in fourth grade (we’re still besties to this day!), I continued to be an avid baker. When I became vegan, I saw vegan baking as a fun challenge and it made my love for baking even stronger.
3. I’ve been practicing yoga since middle school. I played a variety of sports (softball, soccer, tennis, track, etc.) growing up but none of them stuck, so I continued to practice yoga and still love going anytime I can.
4. I played the guitar for a year or two in middle school but was too shy to ever play in front of anyone other than my teacher. I want to learn again, though, so I’m re-stringing my old guitar and youtubing how-to videos this summer.
5. I started Mary-Kate’s Vegan Cakes as a way to share more pictures of my desserts with you all and eventually start selling them. I started with a couple pop-ups where I shipped out my cookies, and I’m working on getting some things sorted out so that I can ship my cookies (+ more goodies) to so many more of you this Summer.
6. My boyfriend, Casey, and I have been together for almost 5 years now. We met in high school but didn’t start dating until the summer before he left for college and my senior year of high school. He’s not vegan, but is always willing to be my taste-tester and has incorporated a lot of vegan food into his diet.
7. I’ve always been into fashion (I won best dressed in middle school) but never quite figured out how to do my makeup, so I’m lucky my sisters are always there to help when I have an event.
8. I studied abroad in Madrid for six weeks last Summer and so did two of my best friends (we were in separate programs but lived a couple miles away from each other in the city and traveled together on weekends).
I visited Segovia, Valencia, Barcelona, Naples (Italy), and Palma de Mallorca but my favorite was by far Madrid. Spain is where my love for carrot cake began.
9. My favorite food is anything that involves cookie dough (if you couldn’t tell).
10. My cousin trusted me to make her wedding cake last fall, which to this day is the biggest cake I’ve ever made! The buttercream layers were cookie butter, cookie dough, and nutella flavored with classic white cake. I’m antsy to make my next one.
Hi everyone! I’m Hannah and I am the 5th sister. I am 19 years old. Hope you enjoy getting to know me!
1.) I just finished my sophomore year at Michigan State University. I love to hangout with friends and go to parties (opposite of Mary-Kate), but during the week my classes can be stressful. The photo is of me and my roommates ready for gameday!
2.) I am majoring in education. I am still unsure if I want to do higher, elementary, or special education, but I’m leaning towards higher ed.
3.) I am a member in the sorority Chi Omega and absolutely love it. I didn’t have many friends my freshman year and being apart of Chi Omega has given me some of my closest friends!
4.) Makeup is my passion. I have been playing with makeup since I was in high school, starting with sitting at my vanity with about two pallets and using a singular brush – now I have so much makeup it’s hard to keep it organized. My sisters like to think I am their personal makeup artist.
5.) I did Emily’s wedding makeup! This was such an honor and I was so happy to make her feel beautiful on such an important day! I also did my makeup along with the rest of my sisters and my mom so it wasn’t the easiest day but I still had tons of fun.
6.) My favorite type of shows is sitcoms. Friends and The Office are two of my favorites. I fall asleep watching friends almost every night. But I am a sucker for Game of Thrones (who isn’t).
7.) My all-time favorite food is vegan mac n cheese. I would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I could (especially our recipe).
8.) I grew up playing volleyball. I was never very good but I had fun doing it!
9.) I have always been fascinated with whales but I am absolutely terrified of the ocean. My boyfriend’s family took me whale watching in Mexico two years ago and it was such a cool moment for me. We saw a ton of humpbacks. These are some photos from that trip! I made sure to stay on top of the paddleboard haha.
10.) My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 1/2 years. We started dating when we were sophomores in high school. He goes to the University of Michigan but we still manage to see each other a good amount!
Hello everyone! My name is Shannon and I’m the 6th sister. I am 16 years old. Hopefully you learn a thing or two about me!
1. I am a sophomore in high school. When I graduate, I will hopefully attend Michigan State University just like four of my sisters (sorry M-K).
2. I am the youngest Six Vegan Sister. I was sandwiched in between the 3 boys so I am the only sister who has an older brother.
3. I was born with a rare heart condition called Shone’s disease. I had open heart surgery when I was just six days old. I am very fortunate to have had amazing doctors that I still have today. I would not be here without them.
4. I love to play sports. My favorite is lacrosse which I have been playing for about 7 years. I play on my high school team. I also started to play field hockey last year for my high school team and I’ve loved I ever since. I also like to run on my off days to stay in shape.
5. I coach lacrosse for elementary school kids with a local team. I am also a scorekeeper for basketball even though I know nothing about basketball!
6. My all time favorite food is watermelon – I’ve loved it since I was a baby. I also love açaí bowls which Molly got me hooked on when I visited her in California. Another favorite food of mine is very random but I love onions… I could eat a whole one raw! It may be weird but they are so good.
7. I’ve had the same small friend group since 6th grade but I’ve known them since I was in kindergarden. In fact, one of them, Maddie, has been my best friend since 2nd grade and we are still all best friends.
8. I love to watch anything crime related – even youtube videos. I can spend hours watching youtube videos on crime and other random things. My favorite show is Jane The Virgin because it deals with crime and love. #TeamRafael
9. I love animals. In fact, I have 2 rescue bunnies. Their names are Bailey and Bea.
10. I am really into fashion and makeup. I love to dress up and do my glam. I have always been into fashion (even though I may have worn some questionable outfits).