You know those garlicky, buttery, perfect knots that you get at your local pizza joint? Well we are here to bring these to you… but VEGAN. Yup, you heard us – get ready to make these vegan garlic knots that are just as delicious as the non-vegan ones we all know and love.
Plus, the dough is made with only FOUR ingredients. All you need is a little bit of time, patience and the following ingredients:
Fast Rising Yeast
And for the topping you need:
Vegan Butter (we love this brand)
Sounds easy enough, right? Now, get cookin’! Let us know if you make it by leaving a comment below or tagging us on Instagram – we hope you love it!
For the dough:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp fast rising yeast
- 4+ cups flour
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the buttery topping:
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Marinara sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Whisk together and let sit for ~10 minutes, until the yeast is dissolved and it starts to bubble.
- In the meantime, combine 4 cups of flour and salt in a large bowl. Mix together.
- Add the activated yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix to combine. You want a soft dough, however it should not be so sticky that it sticks to your finger if you touch it. Add more flour, as necessary, to ensure this doesn't happen.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, then form into a ball.
- Grease a large stainless steel bowl with 1 tbsp of olive oil and place the kneaded dough into the bowl. Toss the dough a couple of times so that it is completely covered in olive oil.
- Cover the bowl with a clean towel and set aside for one hour, until it doubles in size.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly dust a large surface with flour and place the dough on top. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the dough into a rounded rectangular shape that is ~1 inch thick.
- Cut the dough vertically, creating strips that are ~1 inch wide (should create about 12 strips of dough).
- Horizontally (and evenly), cut the dough two more times, creating about 36 small strips (picture above for reference).
- Time to knot! Gently roll and stretch the dough until they are about 4-5 inches long and you can gently tie into a knot.
- Continue to knot each piece of dough and place on the lined baking sheets.
- Gently brush each knot with a bit of olive oil and place into the oven. Let cook for 12-16 minutes until they are cooked through and lightly browned on top.
- Meanwhile, make the buttery topping. Mix together the melted butter, garlic salt and dried herbs in a small bowl and set aside.
- When the knots are done cooking, take out of the oven and brush with the buttery herb topping.
- Transfer to a plate or platter and top with vegan parmesan cheese.
- Serve with marinara or dip of choice – they are also delicious with vegan ranch!