Summer may be coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy one of the best summer treats: STRAWBERRY. SHORTCAKE.
These used to be our favorite treat so we had to veganize this recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
These biscuits are slightly sweet, perfectly crispy on the outside, and soft in the middle. Pair them with fresh strawberries and vegan whipped cream for the most delicious strawberry shortcakes.
The dough is simply:
- nondairy milk + apple cider vinegar
- all purpose flour
- baking powder + salt
- vegan butter (we use these sticks)
Serve with fresh strawberries and vegan whipped cream for an absolutely delicious treat!
For the biscuits
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) soy milk, plus more for topping
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (187 g) all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (36 g) sugar, plus more for topping
- 2 tsp (9 g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp (84 g) vegan butter, cold and cubed
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
- Vegan whipped cream
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut in the butter cubes.
- Gently stir in the milk mixture until just combined (dough will be sticky).
- Place your dough on top of a lightly floured surface. Gently flip it around to cover in flour.
- Pat the dough out to be ~1/2 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or top of a cup to make the rounded pieces of dough. You can reshape the dough scraps to make more biscuits.
- Place each piece of dough on a lined baking sheet so that it is touching other pieces (this will help them rise).
- Place your baking sheet into the fridge for 15-30 minutes to firm up before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Once your dough pieces have chilled, brush each with soy milk and top with a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for ~15 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown and tops are crackly.
- Enjoy by slicing the biscuits in half and filling with strawberries and whipped cream!