Summer may be coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy one of the best summer treats: STRAWBERRY. SHORTCAKE.
These used to be our favorite treat so we had to veganize this recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
These are made with slightly sweet, perfectly crispy on the outside, soft in the middle biscuits combined with fresh strawberries and vegan whip. Pure. Perfection.
The dough is simply:
nondairy milk + apple cider vinegar
all purpose flour
baking powder + salt
vegan butter (we use these sticks)
The only other ingredients you need are fresh strawberries and vegan whip and you have an absolutely delicious treat!
for the biscuit dough:
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk we use soy
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp vegan butter cold and cubed
extra ingredients for topping:
- soy milk
- fresh strawberries + sugar
- vegan whipped cream
- Whisk together the nondairy milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut in the butter cubes.
- Gently stir in the milk mixture until just combined (dough will be sticky).
- Place your dough on top of a lightly floured surface. Gently flip it around to cover in flour.
- Pat the dough out to be ~1/2 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or top of a cup to make the rounded pieces of dough. You can reshape the dough scraps to make more biscuits.
- Place each piece of dough on a lined baking sheet so that it is touching other pieces (this will help them rise).
- Place your baking sheet into the fridge for 15-30 minutes to firm up before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Once your dough pieces have chilled, brush each with soy milk and top with a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for ~15 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown and tops are crackly.
- Enjoy by slicing the biscuits in half and filling with fresh strawberries (sliced and combined with a bit of sugar) and vegan whipped cream!