It’s week 10 (we think, who really knows anymore) of quarantine, and we are SO excited to bring you another new recipe that’s perfect for spring! Lemon poppy seed muffins have always been a favorite of ours, so we have had this recipe on our to-do list for a while now.
These muffins are perfectly lemony, moist, and loaded with poppy seeds. We especially love them in the spring time – there’s just something about warm weather that makes us crave fresh lemony baked goods! Plus, we already had all of the ingredients in our kitchen so coming up with this recipe was a breeze! We love these muffins in the morning with coffee or after dinner when we are craving something sweet. They always hit the spot!
For this recipe, we use:
All purpose flour
Clabber Girl baking powder
Spice Islands poppy seeds
Melted vegan butter or oil
Vegan sour cream or vegan yogurt
Lemon juice + zest
& Vanilla extract
Plus a simple (but delicious) glaze of powdered sugar, nondairy milk, and vanilla! Sounds easy enough right?
So, what are you waiting for? Grab those ingredients and get baking. This recipe should be next on your quarantine to-do list because it’s pantry-friendly and kid approved! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram or leave us a review below if you make them!
Post sponsored by B&G Foods
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
For the muffins:
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flax meal + 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk + 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour measured correctly*
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Clabber Girl baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter or canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream or nondairy yogurt
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Spice Islands poppy seeds
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tsp nondairy milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Make the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the flax meal and water in a small bowl and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine the milk and lemon juice and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the melted butter or oil with the sugar. Add in the milk + lemon juice mixture, sour cream, lemon zest, vanilla and flax egg and mix until combined.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Pour into a greased muffin pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
Make and drizzle the glaze:
- Combine the powdered sugar with 2 teaspoon nondairy milk and the vanilla. If it is too thick, add more milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle the cooled muffins with glaze.