Who doesn’t love french fries? We love to spice up the traditional fry recipe by adding our favorite seasonings! And, instead of frying, we bake them for a much healthier, but just as delicious option. This recipe is super quick, simple and the perfect addition to any dinner!
All you need is:
olive or canola oil
salt & pepper
vegan parmesan (or sub with another vegan cheese or nutritional yeast)
So, what are you waiting for? Whip up these delicious fries for dinner tonight! Just a heads up, give yourself some extra time (a couple hours or so!) to soak the fries prior to baking. This lends to crispier fries!
Baked Garlic Parmesan French Fries
These fries are the perfect complement to any (or let's be honest, EVERY) dinner!
- 4 cups russet potatoes (about 4-5 potatoes, depending on size)
- 2 tbsp olive or canola oil any cooking oil you have on hand should work
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt more or less to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper more or less to taste
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp vegan parmesan can sub for vegan mozzarella or any vegan cheese you have on hand
- Peel and slice the potatoes into long, 1/2 to 1 inch thick slices (or desired fry shape).
- Place the peeled and sliced potatoes in a strainer and run under cold water for at least 30 seconds.
- Soak the potatoes in cold water for 1-3 hours (this is optional but lends to crispier fries. If in a time crunch, limit the time or skip all together).
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare a large baking sheet by coating with oil or lining with parchment paper.
- Once potatoes are done soaking, strain, pat dry and place in a large bowl. Add in the 2 tbsp of olive or canola oil and toss to coat evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic salt, onion powder, paprika and cornstarch. Pour over fries and toss to coat evenly.
- Spread fries evenly on prepared baking sheet (make sure they are not overlapping/touching – you may need a second baking sheet if they don't all fit). Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes, flipping halfway. If necessary, cook longer until desired crispiness.
- Once the fries are finished baking, place them back in the seasoning bowl & toss in dried parsley, salt, pepper, minced garlic & vegan parmesan until evenly coated.
- Serve with a side of ketchup, sriracha, spicy mayo, smashed avo or any of your favorite dips!
These are super yummy, but for me they aren’t worth the work required to make them. I’ve resorted to using frozen french fries, throwing them into the air fryer, and adding the topping from this recipe. It cuts the work and time WAY down which is great for busy nights when you need something quick. The topping has nice flavors/textures and is an easy way to add something different to plain ole french fries!