We’ve always been huge caramel fans, but it’s been a bit intimidating trying to make it ourselves. Luckily, we were able to create a recipe that requires just five ingredients and no candy thermometer!
First, you’ll melt a half cup of sugar in a saucepan. By slowly cooking sugar over low-medium heat, it’ll begin to clump and eventually start melting. You’re going to want to mix the sugar often and be careful that it doesn’t burn.
Once the sugar is completely melted, you’ll remove it from heat and add in a half a stick of vegan butter. While the butter is melting, continuously whisk so that the butter and sugar combine.
Next, you’ll whisk in two tablespoons of nondairy creamer. Whisk until combined. If the mixture seizes at any point, return to low heat and continuously whisk until it combines back together, then return to the step you were at.
Now you’re gonna return the mixture to low-medium heat, whisking until it begins to bubble. Once it’s bubbly, allow it to cook and thicken for about one minute.
Remove it from heat and add in a quarter teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of vanilla. Whisk to combine.
Finally, strain the sauce (this’ll remove any unwanted crunchy pieces) and use as desired! We use this caramel in our cookie dough caramel bars and caramel chocolate chip cookie bars, but it would also be delicious as an ice cream topping or drizzled over your favorite dessert!
Easy Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) vegan butter*
- 2 tbsp nondairy creamer
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place the sugar into a saucepan over low-medium heat. Stir often, until the sugar begins to clump and melt. Continue to stir until the sugar melts completely.**
- Remove from heat and add in the butter, whisking until combined. Add the creamer and whisk until combined.***
- Place back onto low-medium heat, continuously stirring, until it gets bubbly. Stir over heat for another minute or so.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Strain the caramel into a heat-safe bowl. Use as desired!