As you all know, we have a slight obsession with dips (just search “dip” in our search bar and you’ll see what we mean)! So, we decided to get creative and make this caramelized onion dip in our Crockpot™ Choose-a-Crock Programmable Slow Cooker. We love how perfectly it caramelizes the onions – making for the most flavorful, creamy dip. It’s perfect to make for gatherings because it’s always a crowd pleaser! The Summer is filled with family and friend gatherings – hello Fourth of July and Summer Olympics – so what are you waiting for? Get cooking (and start with this dip)!
About the Slow Cooker
The Crockpot™ Choose-a-Crock Programmable Slow Cooker is our favorite for making all the things – especially dips because they are perfect to serve for large groups! The digital countdown display lets you easily monitor and track the cook time while the auto warm setting automatically switches the temperature to warm which makes this perfect for serving at parties – no overcooked or cold dishes! We love how easy it is to make this caramelized onion dip (and many others) with a bonus of easy clean-up. The stoneware and lid are dishwasher safe so at the end of the party just throw them in the dishwasher and voila – all cleaned up!
With only 7 main ingredients, this dish is way too easy to whip up! You will need:
Sweet onions (any white or yellow onion variety will work)
Salt & pepper
Homemade cashew cream (can substitute for vegan sour cream if needed)
Vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
Garlic & onion powder
How to make this dip
This dip is super simple to make – allow the onions to caramelize with the butter, salt and pepper for 6 hours on low, and then add the rest of the ingredients and cook for another hour on low. Finally, stir and cook for an additional 30 minutes on high. Yes, that’s it!
This post is sponsored by Crockpot™
Slow Cooker Caramelized Onion Dip
- Crockpot™ Choose-a-Crock Programmable Slow Cooker
- 3 tbsp (42 g) vegan butter
- 4 medium-sized sweet onions, peeled and sliced thin can substitute for any white/yellow onion if necessary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup (113 g) cashew cream can substitute for vegan sour cream if necessary
- 2 cups (226 g) vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Chopped chives, for topping optional
- Add the butter, sliced onions, salt and pepper to your Crockpot™ Choose-a-Crock Programmable Slow Cooker.
- Mix well, coating the onions in the butter.
- Add the lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients (besides chives).
- Cook on low for 1 hour.
- Stir and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Top with chives and serve with your favorite tortilla chips, crackers, or fresh bread.
Ugh. This was terrible. It smells delicious while cooking but it had a weird aftertaste. My family and I tried a few bites and tossed it in the trash.
I’m a big fan of this site and have made several things that have turned out beautifully, and this is the only thing I really disliked. …. But we all REALLY disliked it.
This is my second time making this and it was really good both times! At first I wasn’t sure I had the right recipe because I was shocked it had a low review but this is it and it was even better than my husband and I remember! Even our two year old asked for more. I used our usual nondairy products we know we like including sour cream instead of cashew cream. We will definitely be making it again for another football Sunday! 🙂