This sandwich is deliciously made up of a perfectly flavorful baked tofu with Yondu Vegetable Umami sauce, vegan cheese, jalapeño slices and crispy onions all between a soft burger bun. It’s surprisingly easy to make and sure to impress! Plus, it tastes absolutely delicious (thanks to the vegetable Yondu sauce which is the main highlight of the dish)!
About the Smoky Yondu Tofu
This tofu is so delicious, you’ll be shocked at how easy it is too make.
The tofu marinade is simply made of the following 4 ingredients:
- Yondu Vegetable Umami sauce
- maple syrup
- vegan hoisin sauce
- liquid smoke
To make, just slice up some super firm tofu, dip into the marinade, and bake! Be sure to braise the tofu halfway through to ensure it’s extra flavorful. Any leftover sauce can be drizzled onto the sandwich!
Assembling the sandwich
We love serving this tofu on a fresh bun with vegan cheese, crispy onions, jalapeño slices, and extra sauce. However, you can play around with your favorite breads and toppings! This tofu can also be chopped up and added to a stir fry, salad, or even eaten on its own!
Love this recipe? Save it on Pinterest!
In August, you can get an additional 15% off on Amazon for Yondu Vegetable umami sauce from Sempio using the code SIXVEGAN. The code is applied at the checkout step and can be combined with existing coupons (but can be used only once).
Smoky Yondu Tofu Sandwich
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) Yondu Vegetable Umami sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) maple syrup
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegan hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 block super firm tofu
- 3 hamburger buns
- 3 slices vegan cheese
- Crispy onions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the marinade by combining all ingredients in a wide bowl.
- Slice the tofu into 12 pieces. Dip each piece of tofu into the marinade, then place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Halfway through, baste each piece with the marinade, then flip and baste the other side.
- To assemble each sandwich, place four pieces of tofu onto the bottom bun. Top with a slice of cheese, then place in a sauté pan over medium-low heat, covered, until the cheese melts. Top with some crispy onions, extra sauce, and the top bun. Enjoy!