Everyone needs a go-to classic chocolate chip cookie recipe and this is ours! These cookies are delicious, chewy and super easy to make. You need just ten ingredients and 30 minutes to throw these together.
All you need is the following:
Cornstarch (this is the secret to making them extra chewy)
Vegan margarine (our favorite brand)
Nondairy milk (we love this brand)
Vanilla extract (we love this kind)
Classic or mini vegan chocolate chips (our favorite brand)
This recipe has quickly become a favorite among many readers. To make these perfectly every time, here are a few of our best tips.
Measure your flour correctly
This is the most important part of this recipe. If you incorrectly measure flour while baking, then your baked goods can turn out dry and crumbly. If you over-measure the flour in this recipe, your cookies won’t spread properly and they won’t be as soft and chewy as they should. If you under-measure flour, then your cookies will flatten too much and will be oily.
To measure flour correctly, you should spoon the flour into your dry measuring cup, then scrape off the excess flour with the back of a knife. You can read more about this method in this blog post.
Use vegan buttery spread (from the tub)
In baked goods, we often call for vegan butter and will specify whether it should be in stick form or from the tub. This is because they have different ratios of oil and water that will lead to different textures in your baked goods. For this recipe, we call for buttery spread out of the tub, and we always use Earth Balance buttery spread. We recommend using it right out of the fridge or slightly softened, but not quite at room temperature.
Check your oven temperature
These bake at 350°F. If you notice they are not baking properly, your oven temperature may be off. You can check it with an oven thermometer.
Finally, practice, practice, practice! Baking can be extremely temperamental. Something can turn out perfectly one time and then completely different the next, and you’ll have no idea why. We recommend to just keep baking! Try out different recipes and learn from your mistakes.
Check out some of our other variations of this recipe!
S’more Cookies: add vegan mini marshmallows and vegan graham crackers to the dough
Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies: replace regular chocolate chips with vegan minis
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies: add chunks of your favorite chocolate sandwich cookies to the dough
Chocolate Chunk Mini Cookies: add vegan chocolate chunks or a chopped chocolate bar the the dough and measure out 2-3 tsp of dough per cookie (bake for 7-9 minutes).
Funfetti M&M Cookies: Add vegan sprinkles to the dough and press in vegan candy coated chocolate pieces on top.
Thin Mint Cookies: Add chopped thin mints into the dough.
Watch the full recipe video here!
If you love cookies, check out some of our other cookie recipes!
Classic Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour measured correctly*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup vegan buttery spread (from a tub, not sticks)
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups nondairy mini chocolate chips** or your favorite nondairy chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour*, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch.
- In a larger mixing bowl, add the buttery spread, nondairy milk, sugars, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add ~half of the flour mixture to the wet mixture and use a rubber scraper to mix until combined. Add the rest and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips (this is our favorite brand).
- Using a cookie scooper, place ~1.5 tbsp balls of dough on your baking sheet (you can also make them using a larger cookie scoop – see below for updated baking time).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 9-11 minutes, until they are baked to your liking (larger cookies should be baked for 11-13 minutes).