One of our most popular recipes is our sweet & sour cauliflower, so we decided to try it (with a few tweaks) with mushrooms & it did NOT disappoint. Honestly, this recipe will give the cauliflower a run for its money.
The sweet & sour sauce is made with the following simple ingredients:
Maple syrup (here is an organic brand)
Soy sauce (we love this low-sodium kind!)
Rice vinegar (here is our FAV brand!)
Sesame oil (here is a brand we love)
Sriracha (this is the BEST kind!)
Fresh ginger & garlic
Cornstarch (here is the kind we use)
We used cremini mushrooms for this, but feel free to switch it up for whatever kind of mushroom is your favorite! Shiitake would probably be a great substitution (we’ll have to try that next)!
Sweet & Sour Mushrooms
For the battered mushrooms
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
For the sweet & sour sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger minced
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp sesame seeds for topping
- Start by greasing two large baking sheets with the olive oil & preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- In a large bowl, make the batter by whisking together the water and flour. Mix well until there are no chunks.
- Put all of the sliced mushrooms into the batter and carefully mix until they are all covered in batter.
- One by one, place the mushrooms onto the greased baking sheets (easily do this with tongs).
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, (they should be golden brown and crispy when done).
- While the mushrooms are baking, make the sauce. In a deep pan over medium heat, combine the soy sauce and maple syrup and whisk.
- Next, add the rice vinegar and sesame oil to the pan and mix.
- Next, add the chopped garlic, ginger and sriracha to the pan. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the water and mix until the cornstarch is dissolved and there are no chunks.
- Add the cornstarch/water to the pan and mix again.
- Turn the heat up to high and let it cook until it gets thick, sticky and bubbly.
- When the mushrooms are done, take them out of the oven and put them into a large mixing bowl.
- Top with the sauce and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with sesame seeds. Eat!