For this recipe, we use simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen – flour, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, & more – and if you don’t, we’ll link some options for ya so that you do!
In addition to the spices & fresh veggies, you’ll need:
cornstarch + water
and sesame seeds
So what’s stopping you? Make these ASAP- you won’t be disappointed. Find the full recipe below!
You can top our veggie fried rice (recipe HERE) with this dish for an AMAZING flavor combo.
& if you like this recipe, check out some of our other delish appetizers:
Sweet & Sour Cauliflower
For the battered cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 tsp olive oil or parchment paper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
For the sweet & sour sauce:
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or sub agave
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger chopped
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce optional
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 1/4 cup water
- 2 green onions chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Start by greasing a large baking sheet with olive oil (or line with parchment paper) & preheat oven to 450°F.
- Chop cauliflower into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, make the batter by combining water and flour. Mix well until there are no chunks.
- Dunk each piece of cauliflower into the flour/water mixture and let excess batter drip off before placing on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (flip halfway & cook until crispy).
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the sauce! In a deep pan, over medium heat, combine the soy sauce with the maple syrup and whisk.
- Then, add rice vinegar and sesame oil to the mixture and mix.
- Next, add the chopped garlic, ginger and chili garlic sauce (if using). Mix.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water. Mix this until it is dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch/water to the sauce and mix again.
- Let the sauce cook until it becomes thick and sticky (you may need to turn the heat up a bit for this to happen)!
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the cauliflower in the sauce and then transfer to a serving bowl. Top with sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!