These classic vanilla cupcakes are deliciously moist and topped with creamy vegan buttercream. The batter is made from:
nondairy milk + apple cider vinegar (vegan buttermilk!) – soy milk works the best
sugar (we prefer organic)
baking soda, baking powder, and salt
vanilla extract (this brand is a good deal!)
and the buttercream is made out of:
vegan buttery sticks (our go to brand!)
powdered sugar (we use organic)
You can customize these any way you’d like – top with some melty chocolate, our no-bake cookie dough (our fav way to enjoy them), or anything else you can think of! Or just keep them plain and simple.
Full recipe below! Enjoy.
Want to make these chocolate?
For the cupcakes: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the dry ingredients of the cupcake batter. Add an extra 2 tbsp warm water at the end.
For the buttercream: Add 2 tbsp cocoa powder to the buttercream to make it chocolate and add more milk, as necessary, for the proper consistency.
Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 1 cup nondairy milk we prefer soy
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp warm water
For the buttercream frosting
- 1/2 cup vegan buttery sticks room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1+ tbsp nondairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two cupcake pans with ~18 cupcake liners.
- Whisk the milk and vinegar together and let sit for about 10-15 minutes until the mixture curdles.
- In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda & powder, and salt.
- Once the milk has curdled, add the milk mixture, oil, and vanilla to the dry mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Add in the warm water and mix until the batter is smooth and silky.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each up ~3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean or with just crumbs on it (don’t overcook or they may be dry).
- For the buttercream, add the butter to a mixing bowl. Beat for a couple minutes, until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat until combined.
- Begin to add milk and continue to beat. Add milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, pipe the frosting (we prefer a Wilton 2D tip). Keep plain or add any toppings you’d like!