We always like to have a sweet treat with our Sunday brunch. We usually opt for chocolate chip muffins or french toast, but we were feeling fancy this weekend. Hence, skillet monkey bread with cream cheeze drizzle.
And we aren’t talking about store bought biscuit dough covered in caramel. This dough is deliciously homemade – and you can get it ready the night before to make your morning easy breezy.
First, you start by making the bread dough from:
Yeast + Warm Water
Sugar (we use organic)
Nondairy Milk (choose one that’s higher in fat/sugar, like this)
Melted Vegan Butter (we use these sticks)
Flour + Salt
After letting this dough rise, you roll little balls of dough in cinnamon sugar and put them in your skillet – a little tedious, but WAY worth it.
While this rises, you make the rich caramel sauce from:
Vegan Butter (we use these sticks)
Vegan Creamer (we use soy)
Brown Sugar (we use organic)
This gets poured into every crevice, making each bite gooey and delicious.
While all of this bakes, make the cream cheeze drizzle!
This is made of:
Vegan Cream Cheeze (Daiya’s is super sweet)
Vegan Buttery Sticks
Drizzle this all over before serving! Yes, it’s amazing as it seems.
Perfect for holidays and big brunches! Hope you all enjoy 🙂
Check out some of our other brunch-ready recipes!
Skillet Monkey Bread with Cream Cheeze Drizzle
For the bread
- 1/4 cup warm water + 2 tsp instant rise yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm milk we prefer soy
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- Extra vegan butter for greasing the skillet
For the cinnamon sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
For the caramel
- 1/2 cup vegan butter 1 stick
- 1/2 cup vegan nondairy creamer we prefer soy
- 1 cup brown sugar
For the cream cheeze drizzle
- 1/4 cup vegan butter 1/2 stick
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp nondairy milk
- splash vanilla extract
- Place warm water in a small bowl with 1tsp of the sugar. Pour the yeast over top. Let sit for ~10 minutes (Make sure your water isn’t too hot – it will deactivate the yeast).
- In a large mixing bowl, add the yeast mixture, the rest of the sugar, the milk, and the melted butter. Whisk together.
- Add the flour and salt and mix together.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and flip around so it is completely coated in oil.
- Place a damp towel over top and set in a warm place for an hour or so, until doubled.
- Once doubled, deflate the dough and kneed in a little flour until it’s only slightly sticky.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar.
- Grease the skillet with vegan butter.
- Take little balls of the dough and coat them in the cinnamon sugar. Place each in the skillet so that they are touching. They should cover the whole skillet.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise again until doubled – I did this overnight, but you should get similar results if you allow this to rise for about an hour.
- Once it is doubled (or close), preheat the oven to 350°F. Make the caramel.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, place the butter, brown sugar, and creamer. Heat until the butter melts, then turn up the heat until it begins to boil, continually mixing.
- Allow to boil for a couple minutes while mixing, then turn off heat.
- Pour the caramel over all of the pieces.
- Cook for 25-30mins, until golden brown.
- Make the cream cheeze drizzle by combining all the ingredients. Microwave for a few seconds to make melty before drizzling.
- Once the monkey bread is out of the oven and has cooled for a few minutes, pour the drizzle and dig in!