This is one of our go-to ways to cook tofu. You’ll find that this tofu is easy to make, extra crispy, and perfect when served with so many different sauces.
Ways to cook tofu
We often get asked about how we cook our tofu. Well, we cook it so many different ways:
And we even buy pre-baked!
We love this lightly fried recipe because it gets the tofu so crispy without deep frying. The secret to those extra crispy edges? Coat the tofu in cornstarch!
Our favorite tofu for this recipe
We prefer to use firm or extra firm tofu for this recipe. This is one of our go-to’s.
You can also find super firm tofu at some stores, which requires no pressing for this recipe.
How to freeze tofu
Freezing and defrosting tofu is an easy and effective way to achieve a meatier texture.
- Either leave the tofu in its packaging or transfer to a plastic bag.
- Place in the freezer overnight.
- Allow to defrost at room temperature or place on a microwave-safe plate and defrost in the microwave.
- Repeat steps 2-3 once, if desired.
- Finally, continue with pressing the tofu.
How to press tofu
We have a whole blog post on this topic, but here’s a quick tutorial on how to press tofu!
- Drain the water from the tofu package and slice into desired sized pieces.
- Lay flat on a thick, absorbent towel. Place another thick, absorbent towel on top of the tofu.
- Find a heavy cutting board, skillet or something similar and lay it on top of the tofu.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove tofu from the towels and pat with a dry towel to remove any excess water that remains.
How to use this tofu
We love this tofu in our BBQ Tofu Bowls, but you can get creative! This recipe is super easy to double or even triple, so go ahead and get cooking!
Making this recipe? Make sure to tag us on Instagram!
Easy Crispy Tofu
- 1 (14-16 oz [396-453 g]) block firm or extra firm tofu (frozen and defrosted, if desired, then sliced in half horizontally and pressed*)
- 1/3 cup (40 g) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cooking oil of choice we like canola
- Cut the pressed tofu into small cubes.
- Place into a large mixing bowl and add the cornstarch (you can add spices of choice in here, if desired).
- Gently shake around so that all the pieces are coated in cornstarch (alternatively you can coat each piece separately).
- Heat the oil on a non-stick large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Place each piece of tofu in the pan.
- Allow the pieces to crisp on the bottom side, and then flip them around and allow to crisp on every side.
- Serve in any way you’d like – get creative! We love this coated in BBQ sauce or any sticky sauce.