This recipe pairs crispy tofu with a deliciously sweet and smoky BBQ sauce. It’s absolutely delicious, especially when paired with a grain or veggie.
Our favorite way to prepare tofu is by coating it in cornstarch and lightly frying to crisp perfection. First, you’ll freeze and defrost the tofu (if desired – this yields a “meatier” texture), then you’ll slice and press the tofu, and finally, you’ll coat it in cornstarch and pan-fry it.
Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce
This sauce is perfectly sweet, sticky, and smoky. It requires the following ingredients:
- BBQ sauce
- brown sugar
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- cornstarch + water (this is your cornstarch slurry – it’ll thicken the sauce)
How to serve this dish
Once you combine the crispy tofu with the brown sugar BBQ sauce, you’ll end up with a mouthwatering dish that is delicious on its own or paired with a vegetable or grain. You could also throw it in between a bun to create a BBQ sandwich, put it on top of pizza, or serve it as an appetizer dipped into vegan ranch!
You may also like
Brown Sugar BBQ Tofu
- 1 (14-16 oz [396-453 g]) block extra firm tofu (frozen and defrosted [if desired], pressed, and chopped into cubes)*
- 1/3 cup (40 g) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cooking oil of choice
- 1 1/2 tbsp (11 g) cornstarch + 1 1/2 tbsp (22 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (128 g) BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup (55 g) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce (or gluten-free tamari)
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
Make the crispy tofu
- Cut the pressed tofu into small cubes.
- Place into a large mixing bowl and add the cornstarch.
- Gently shake around so that all the pieces are coated in cornstarch (alternatively you can coat each piece separately).
- Heat the oil on a non-stick large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Place each piece of tofu in the pan.
- Allow them to crisp on the bottom side, and then flip them around and allow to crisp on every side.
Meanwhile, make the sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high, add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook, whisking often, until the sauce begins to boil. Whisk in the cornstarch. Cook until the sauce is thick and sticky.
- Add the tofu to the sauce and stir until well coated. Add salt to taste.
- Serve! This is delicious with steamed broccoli, rice, or served in a veggie bowl.