Was anyone else OBSESSED with peanut butter blossoms growing up? Something about biting into that crunchy chocolate on top of a chewy, sugary peanut butter cookie…
For the veganized version of these, you’ll need:
Vanilla (this is the brand we use – it’s a good deal!)
Flour, salt, & baking soda
Chocolate chips (these are vegan!)
That’s it! They’re so easy and taste just like the cookies we all grew up eating.
To get that classic peanut butter blossom feel, you just press into the dough with a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon:
Then press into the dough again post-baking:
And finally pour in dollops of melted chocolate!
So easy and so tasty!
Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 (+1/4 for rolling) cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until creamy.
- Add the milk and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Fold until combined.
- Roll tablespoons of dough into the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and place on the baking sheet.
- Press into the centers of the dough balls with a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, until golden. Once you remove the cookies, use the measuring spoon to press into the centers again.
- Microwave the chocolate chips in 30 second intervals until melted.
- Place a dollop of chocolate into each divot and refrigerate or freeze until set. Enjoy!