We are obsessed with broccoli cheddar soup — check out our Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup and Panera-inspired Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipes! So, we wanted to put a fun spin on it, which is why we created this easy, delicious Broccoli Cheddar Rice!
This recipe is perfect for this time, because it’s made with lots of pantry staples and is super easy to make! It’s the perfect dish the whole family can enjoy. All you need is:
Rice (feel free to use white, brown, or whatever you have!)
Raw cashews, soaked (we prefer unsalted, but salted should work just fine)
Olive oil (feel free to sub any oil you have on-hand)
Ps — this recipe serves about 2-4 people (depending on if it’s being served as a main or a side dish), so, if you’re cooking for a large crowd, we’d recommend doubling it. Plus, the leftovers are pretty darn tasty!
Broccoli Cheddar Rice
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup rice milk we strongly recommend using unsweetened rice milk for this recipe, other plant milks may give a sweeter taste that we don't particularly enjoy
- 1 cup raw cashews make sure to soak these 1-2 hours before starting (see step 1)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dehydrated celery powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaping cup broccoli chopped small
- 1/2 cup onion chopped small
- 1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- dried parsley, optional for topping
- Pour hot water over the cashews and let sit for at least 1-2 hours.
- Cook the rice according to instructions on the packaging.
- Blend the vegetable broth, rice milk, soaked cashews, garlic powder, onion powder, dehydrated celery powder, salt, and nutritional yeast in a high-speed blender.
- Next, add olive to a large nonstick pan over medium-heat. Once the oil is hot, add the broccoli and onion. Let cook for about 5-7 minutes (until the broccoli is soft and onions are translucent), stirring periodically.
- Continue by adding the blended cashew sauce and the vegan cheese to the broccoli/onions and mix together until well combined. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Add in the cooked rice and mix well. Serve topped with dried parsley (if using) and enjoy (serves about 2-4 people, depending on if it's a main or side dish). Ps: if you want a little kick, drizzle a bit of sriracha on top, you won't be disappointed!