Who doesn’t love tacos and who doesn’t love pasta? We decided to combine two of our favorite foods and make TACO PASTA! This recipe is super easy to make and uses lots of pantry staples. Feel free to use substitutions if you don’t have ground crumbles — chopped seitan, crumbled pressed tofu, vegan chick’n, or your favorite vegan protein should work!
All you need is:
pasta (any kind will work, sub gluten free if you want!)
cooking oil (any oil you have or vegan butter will work, or omit and sub with water for a healthier option)
ground crumbles or desired substitute (tofu, tempeh or jackfruit for gluten free option)
taco seasoning (just make sure it is vegan, we like to have this on hand!)
petite diced tomatoes
vegan cheese shreds (we prefer a combo of cheddar & mozzarella but any will work!)
All you have to do is cook the pasta and make the delicious cheesy taco sauce. Plus, if you choose a gluten free pasta and choose a gluten free meat sub, the dish is completely gluten free!
The steps to make this dish are so simple. First, sauté the meat substitute in a little oil. Then stir in taco seasoning & water. Add the tomatoes, salsa and vegan cheese. Mix and let the cheese melt. Pour in the cooked pasta, stir, and enjoy!
If you love this recipe, check out some of our other pasta recipes:
- 1 (16 oz) package pasta can use gluten free
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 (12-16 oz) package beyond meat plant-based ground or your favorite vegan crumbles
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning or make your own*
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup salsa use preferred spice level
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles optional – will add a kick!
- 1/2 heaping cup vegan cheddar shreds
- 1/2 heaping cup vegan mozzarella shreds sub pepper jack for a little spice
- salt & pepper to taste
- cilantro optional, for topping
- Cook pasta according to instructions. Strain and set aside**.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan on low-medium heat.
- Stir in ground crumbles. Cook for ~5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water and taco seasoning. Stir well to coat the crumbles and cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in salsa, tomatoes, green chiles (if using), and vegan cheese shreds.
- Cover and allow to cook on medium-low heat until the cheese has melted (open the lid occasionally to stir).
- Once the cheese has melted, stir in the cooked pasta and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with cilantro and more vegan cheese, if desired! Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.