We make this baked mac n cheese for any family gathering we have – it’s a huge crowd pleaser and always impresses non-vegans. The cheesy sauce is creamy and delicious, which pairs perfectly with the crispy topping.
For the mac n cheese, you’ll need:
Vegan butter (we always have this brand in our house)
All purpose flour
Rice milk (this is our go-to)
Vegan cheese shreds
Nutritional yeast (we use this brand)
Top the creamy mac with a mixture of French fried onions, breadcrumbs, and spices and you’ll see why we’re so obsessed.
If you love mac as much as we do, check out some of our other mac n cheese recipes!
Vegan Baked Mac n Cheese
For the noodles:
- 1 16 oz box uncooked cellentani pasta*
For the cheese sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 3 cups plain, unsweetened rice milk**
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/4 tsp salt add more or less to taste
- 2 cups vegan shredded cheddar cheese or use a combo of your favorites
- ~1 cup cashew cream see notes***
For the topping:
- 1 cup french fried onions
- 1/2 cup vegan Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp parsley
Prepare oven and cook the noodles:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions for al dente noodles. Strain and set aside (you may want to toss them in a bit of oil to keep from sticking together).
Make the cheese sauce:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low-medium heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux.
- Slowly add in the rice milk while continuously whisking. Turn the heat up to medium-high and simmer until thick and bubbly, continuously whisking to ensure there are no remaining lumps.
- Whisk in the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt until combined.
- Stir in the cheese and cashew cream*** and cook until the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy.
Make the topping:
- Blend the french fried onions, breadcrumbs, garlic salt, and parsley in a food processor or blender.
Assemble and bake:
- Pour the cheese sauce into the noodles and mix until combined. Pour into an 9"×13" glass pan.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the top. Cover the pan tightly with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes and then take the foil off. Bake for another 5 minutes uncovered, until the topping is golden-brown.