Are you ready for this? Homemade Vegan Spicy Popcorn Chick’n — yes, we went there. Crispy on the outside and perfectly tender on the inside, this spicy popcorn chick’n is made using homemade seitan that’s first simmered then fried to crispy perfection.
How to make this popcorn chick’n
It may seem intimidating to make homemade seitan from scratch, but trust us when we say it’s actually much easier than you’d think!
First, you’ll start by making the seitan chick’n using vital wheat gluten (we love this kind), spices, veggie broth, and soy sauce. You’ll then simmer the seitan in a vegetable broth and water mixture. Finish it off by dipping in a flour and spice mixture and frying the chick’n.
How to serve this popcorn chick’n
You can serve this popcorn chick’n with any dipping sauce of your choice — we love vegan “honey” mustard (you can easily make it by combining mustard with a bit of vegenaise and agave), or chipotle mayo dip (find our full recipe for this below!).
Seems easy enough right, right? As always, let us know in the comments if you make this recipe and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram! Want to save this recipe and make it later? Pin it here.
You may also like
Vegan Spicy Popcorn Chick’n
- Food Processor or Blender (to make the chipotle mayo dip)
To make the seitan chick'n:
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten*
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
To simmer the seitan chick'n:
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
For the chipotle mayo dip:
- 1/2 cup vegenaise
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
To fry the seitan chick'n:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- canola oil
Make the seitan chick'n:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, and spices.
- Add the veggie broth and soy sauce to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Knead the mixture for ~3 minutes. It will form into a stretchy dough.
- Break off small pieces of dough (~1-2 tbsp each) to form your chick'n pieces. Keep in mind that these will expand before frying.
Simmer the seitan chick'n:
- Add the broth and water to a large pot over high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Place your chick'n pieces into the boiling mixture.
- Turn the heat to low and place a lid on the pot. Let simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the pieces have approximately doubled in size.
Make the chipotle mayo dip:
- If making the chipotle mayo dip to serve the popcorn chick'n with, blend vegenaise, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and adobo sauce in a food processor (or blender) until fully combined. Set aside while you fry the chick'n.
Fry the seitan chick'n:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and spices.
- Add canola oil to a large pot so that it is about 1 – 1 & 1/2 inches high. Place over medium-high heat until hot (~350°F).
- For each piece of chick'n, remove it from the broth, coat in the flour mixture, and place it in the oil. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side until crispy. You can fry many pieces at a time as long as they're not overlapping.
- Place chick'n on a paper towel to soak up the excess oil. Enjoy with the chipotle mayo dip or your favorite dipping sauce!