Level up your classic cinnamon rolls with sprinkles and cookie butter by making these funfetti cookie butter cinnamon rolls. They’re beyond delicious and are perfect for celebrations, Sunday brunch, or any day you’re looking for a tasty treat.
The features of these rolls
The dough: You’ll make a slightly sweet, yeasted dough for these rolls. It will go through two rises for fluffy, tender rolls.
The filling: You’ll fill these rolls with a vegan butter/cookie butter mixture, followed by a cinnamon sugar/sprinkle mixture.
The glaze and topping: Finally, you’ll top the freshly made rolls with a powdered sugar glaze and a drizzle of melted cookie butter.
Vegan Cookie Butter
Cookie butter gives these rolls an absolutely delicious, decadent flavor. You can use Lotus Biscoff Cookie Butter, Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter, or another vegan cookie butter of choice.
You may also like
Funfetti Cookie Butter Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup (240 mL) warm nondairy milk (heated to 100-110°F [37-43°C])
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar, separated
- 2 1/4 tsp (1 [7 g] packet) active dry yeast
- 2 3/4 – 3 1/4 cups (343 – 406 g) all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled or weighed), separated, plus more for kneading as needed
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp (70 g) vegan butter, softened and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup (120 g) vegan cookie butter
- 3/4 cup (165 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (8 g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (100 g) vegan rainbow sprinkles
- 3 tbsp (42 g) vegan butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (187 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) nondairy milk, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup (60 g) vegan cookie butter, melted
Make the dough
- In a small bowl, whisk together the warm milk with 1 tablespoon (12 g) of the granulated sugar. Sprinkle the yeast on top and whisk until it is completely dissolved. Set aside for 5-10 minutes, until the mixture has foamed.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, stir together 2 3/4 cups (343 g) of the flour, the salt, and the remaining 3 tablespoons (36 g) of granulated sugar. Add the butter and beat until incorporated (you can also mix it with a rubber scraper or large wooden spoon—the butter should break up slightly into the flour, but it’s okay if large pieces remain). Once the yeast is foamy, add it to the flour mixture. Beat on low speed or stir with the rubber scraper or wooden spoon, scraping the sides as necessary, until you have a soft but manageable dough. Add more flour, up to 1/2 cup (62 g), as needed, to ensure the dough is not too sticky to handle.
- Either beat the dough in the stand mixer for 5-7 minutes or transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 5-7 minutes, incorporating more flour as needed so that the dough does not stick to the sides of the bowl or to your hands. Coat a large bowl with the canola oil. Form the dough into a ball and place in the bowl. Turn to lightly coat the ball with the oil. Place a clean towel over the bowl. Let rest in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Fill and shape the rolls
- In a small bowl, beat the butter and cookie butter until well combined. In a separate small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and sprinkles until well combined.
- Butter a 9"x13" (23 x 33 cm) baking dish with vegan butter. Once the dough has doubled, punch it down to release any air bubbles and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle, about 14"x16" (36 x 40 cm) in size. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the dough. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar topping evenly over the butter mixture and lightly press it into the butter. Beginning on the longer side, tightly roll the dough into a log. Cut into 12 equal pieces (you can use unflavored floss for clean cuts). Place the rolls, swirly side up, evenly in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap or a large towel and set in a warm place to rise again until doubled in size, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once the rolls are close to being doubled in size, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake the rolls for 18-22 minutes, or until golden-brown.
Make the glaze
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and the milk until well combined. If necessary, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached—it should be slightly thick but still pourable.
Finish and serve
- Once the rolls are out of the oven, allow them to cool slightly, then spread the glaze evenly over the rolls. Drizzle the melted cookie butter over the glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.