This pasta is a delicious combination of sautéed onion and garlic, browned vegan ground sausage, and a thick, creamy sauce, all paired with your favorite pasta. And don’t forget a leafy green (for health, ya know?).
This pasta is made with 11 main ingredients:
- pasta of choice
- olive oil
- onion and garlic
- vegan ground sausage (we recommend Impossible brand)
- Italian seasoning
- all-purpose flour
- vegetable broth (we prefer using Better Than Bouillon + water)
- plain unsweetened rice milk
- vegan mozzarella cheese
- kale or spinach
You may also like
Creamy Sausage Pasta
- 1 (16 oz) package pasta of your choice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil, divided
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 (14-16 oz) package vegan ground sausage, defrosted
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves minced garlic (or 1 tbsp jarred)
- 1/4 cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups (480 ml) plain unsweetened rice milk
- 1 cup (113 g) vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 cups loosely packed kale or spinach
- Crushed red pepper if desired
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to package instructions. Once done, rinse, drain, and toss in 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil to keep from sticking.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the sausage and Italian seasoning. Cook until brown (fully cooked), then stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and sprinkle flour over the sausage. Stir and cook 1 minute, stirring often, to remove flour taste. Add 1/3 cup (80 ml) broth and cook until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Add in the remaining 1/3 cup (80 ml) broth and rice milk. Bring to gentle boil and mix well. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until thickened.
- Slowly add in the cheese and mix until fully melted.
- Add the kale (or spinach) and cover with a lid to steam for about 1 to 2 minutes, until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Add pasta and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in salt and pepper (and add more to taste), top with crushed red pepper (if desired) and enjoy immediately!