This recipe is based off one of our favorite and most popular recipes, our Baked Mac & Cheese. It has all the creamy, crispy goodness, but is made in just one pot!
Okay, okay, it’s technically made in a cast iron skillet. Which means that once you’ve made the mac & cheese on the stovetop, you can put it directly in the oven without needing another dish. Simple enough, right?
Vegan Mac & Cheese
Whether you’re new to the world of veganism or you’ve been vegan for years, you’ll need a go-to mac & cheese recipe in your back pocket. That’s why we have plenty of recipes you can try. One is sure to become your go-to.
Easy Creamy Mac & Cheese
One-Pot Macaroni & Cheese
Baked Mac & Cheese
One-Pot Chili Mac & Cheese
Buffalo Chick’n Mac & Cheese
Broccoli Mac & Cheese
You’ll make a simple macaroni & cheese (one pot and no straining required), then add a topping and bake until deliciously crispy.
Macaroni & Cheese
- vegan butter + all-purpose flour (to create a roux)
- plain, unsweetened rice milk
- uncooked pasta (cellantani or macaroni preferred)
- paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder
- salt and pepper
- dijon mustard
- vegan cheese shreds (cheddar or combo of your favorites)
- cashew cream, if desired (for extra creaminess)
- vegan breadcrumbs
- French fried onions
- dried parsley
- garlic powder
One-Pot Baked Mac & Cheese
This recipe is creamy, crispy, and absolutely delicious. Bonus: it requires just one pot!
- Cast Iron Skillet
Mac and Cheese
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (720 mL) plain, unsweetened rice milk
- 3 cups (720 mL) water
- 1 lb (16 oz; 453 g) uncooked pasta (cellantani or macaroni preferred)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 cups (339 g) vegan cheese shreds (cheddar or combo of your favorites)
- 1/2 cup (113 g) cashew cream (optional) (recipe here)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) vegan breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (56 g) French fried onions (can sub more breadcrumbs)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour until well combined to form a roux.
- Slowly add the milk while constantly whisking, then the water. Whisk in the spices and mustard. Stir in the noodles. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to low and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes (or more, as needed), until the noodles are cooked (a lot of the liquid will be absorbed, but some will remain).
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted. If using, stir in the cashew cream.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, as desired.
- Stir together the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle on top.
- Carefully cover the pan tightly in foil. Place in the oven for 15 minutes, then carefully remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Serve immediately.