This cookie cake is deliciously soft, chewy, and chocolatey. It’s the perfect alternative to typical birthday cake or an easy dessert to throw together for any time you have guests over.
You need ten basic ingredients for this cookie cake:
- all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- baking soda
- vegan butter
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- nondairy milk
- pure vanilla extract
- vegan chocolate chips
How to decorate
You can leave this cookie cake as-is, but we love embracing our inner Mrs. Fields and decorating it with (vegan) buttercream and sprinkles.
You may also like
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
For the Cookie Cake
- 1 1/4 cups (156 g) all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled or weighed)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (84 g) vegan butter*, slightly softened*
- 1/3 cup (73 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (66 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (126 g) vegan chocolate chips, plus more for top
For the buttercream
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan butter*, slightly softened*
- 1 cup (125 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp nondairy milk (plus more as needed)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (7 g) cocoa powder (optional for chocolate frosting)
For topping (optional)
- Vegan sprinkles
- Make the cookie cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a round 9" pan (we also like placing parchment paper on the bottom).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch.
- In separate large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the milk and vanilla and beat until creamy.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle desired amount of extra chocolate chips on top and gently press into the dough.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until lightly golden-brown. Allow to cool, then transfer to a serving platter (removing parchment paper if necessary).
- Make the buttercream: In a medium-sized mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and powdered sugar until light and creamy. Add the milk, vanilla, and cocoa powder (if using) and beat until creamy. Add more milk, as needed, to reach a creamy but firm consistency.
- Decorate: Place the frosting Into a piping bag fitted with a tip of choice. Pipe around the edges. Top with sprinkles, if desired. Serve by cutting into desired amount of slices.
- We recommend using butter in stick or block form, rather than tub form. To soften slightly, leave at room temperature for 15-30 minutes before using.