It’s Day 1 of our annual Six Vegan Sisters 12 Days of Christmas. We’ll be sharing 12 holiday-inspired vegan recipes up until Christmas Day. Get ready for holiday desserts, crowd-pleasing hearty dishes, simple yet delicious sides, and more!
Today’s recipe is this Creamy Alfredo Casserole. It’s deliciously saucy, cheesy, and baked to perfection. It’s a perfect cozy dish to serve a crowd for any holiday festivity.
This dish pairs penne pasta with a creamy alfredo sauce. If desired, you can incorporate some broccoli into the dish. It’s all topped with cheese and baked to melty, creamy perfection.
The alfredo sauce is made out of the following simple ingredients:
- vegan butter
- all-purpose flour
- nutritional yeast
- plain unsweetened rice milk
- dried parsley, dried basil, dried oregano
- garlic powder and onion powder
- vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
You may also like
Creamy Alfredo Casserole
- 1 (16 oz [453 g]) package penne pasta
- 1 small head broccoli (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan butter
- 6 cloves garlic or 2 tbsp (18 g) jarred minced garlic
- 1/4 cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (20 g) nutritional yeast
- 3 cups (720 ml) plain unsweetened rice milk
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups (226 g) vegan mozzarella cheese shreds divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh or dried parsley for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to the package instructions. If using the broccoli, add to the boiling water about 3-5 minutes before the noodles are done. Once cooked, drain and rinse in cold water, place back in the pot and toss with the olive oil to keep from sticking.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Stir in the garlic and let it cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Whisk in the flour until thoroughly combined. Slowly pour in the rice milk, whisking constantly.
- Increase the heat to high, bringing the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Lower the heat to low, bringing to a simmer. Stir in the nutritional yeast, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes, until it thickens. Stir in 1 cup (113 g) of mozzarella until melted. Stir in the cooked noodles and broccoli (if using). Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour into the prepared dish and top with the remaining 1 cup (113 g) of mozzarella.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve topped with parsley.