Who said salads have to be boring? Impress your guests by whipping up this simple yet delicious salad with roasted vegetables and a maple tahini dressing. For Day 9 of our annual Six Vegan Sisters 12 Days of Christmas, we’re sharing this winter vegetable salad!
The salad is loaded with the following:
- kale (for the base!)
- roasted Brussels, butternut squash & baby carrots
- oven roasted pecans
- dried cranberries
The dressing is made by whisking together the following:
How to make
This salad looks like it takes a lot of work, but is actually super simple. Just chop up and roast the veggies, then add to the kale and top with dried cranberries and pecans. Whisk together the dressing and toss it all together to make the perfect salad!
Some helpful tips
- If you do not like kale, feel free to use your favorite greens.
- Kale softens a bit if it sits in the dressing, so don’t worry about dressing it too early.
- Sub in any of your favorite veggies, just adjust roasting time accordingly.
- Feel free to use raw pecans or your favorite nuts – throw them in the oven with the veggies for the last 10 minutes or so to roast them.
- If you do not have pure maple syrup on hand, agave works as a great substitute!
You may also like
Winter Roasted Vegetable Salad
- 8 cups (800 g) de-stemmed and chopped kale
- 2 1/2 cups (500 g) peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups (165 g) thinly sliced baby carrots
- 3 cups (264 g) quartered Brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (65 g) roasted pecans halved or chopped, plus more to taste
- ½ cup (65 g) dried cranberries plus more to taste
- ½ cup (128 g) tahini
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water more as needed
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° and grease or line a baking sheet.
- Place prepared kale in a large bowl.
- Spread squash, carrots and Brussels on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Using a rubber spatula, toss them around to coat veggies in oil.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are fork tender (the carrots may be a tad undercooked, but that is ok, as they still taste delicious!).
- Meanwhile, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add more water as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Add about 1/2 of the dressing to the kale and toss. Let sit in dressing while veggies cook to soften the kale.
- Add cooked vegetables, roasted pecans and cranberries* to the kale then toss in the rest of the dressing (if desired, pour slowly to avoid over-dressing). Add more pecans and dried cranberries if desired!