Our garden sprouted a ton of delicious butternut squash this season – hello delicious fall recipes! First up is a flavorful and creamy butternut squash pasta. All you need is:
butternut squash, garlic and onion
cashews (we find this to be the best deal!)
rice milk (make this a staple in your house by stocking up here!)
spices, salt and pepper
That’s it! Super simple with very limited and healthy ingredients – what could be better?
To make for yourself, all you have to do is steam the squash with some onions and garlic and blend it with the rest of the ingredients to make the perfect sauce! It’s absolutely delicious stirred into penne pasta.
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil separated
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup white onion diced
- 2 cups butternut squash diced
- 1 cup cashews soaked*
- 1 cup plain rice milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Vegan parmesan, for topping
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and toss in 1 tablespoon of olive oil to keep from sticking.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over low-medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and squash. Cook for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the squash is penetrable with a fork.
- Add the veggies to a blender with rice milk, cashews and spices. Blend until creamy.
- Add the sauce back to the skillet and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often, to warm. Stir in the cooked pasta. Serve topped with vegan parmesan.