These classic chocolate cupcake are perfectly moist and frosted with a silky chocolate buttercream frosting. And yes, they’re 100% vegan!
We love cupcakes because they’re not only easy to whip up, they’re a huge crowd-pleaser and fun to play around with – you can stuff them with nut butter or cookie dough and top them with anything you’d like!
We typically stuff and top them with cookie dough, but we may be a little cookie dough obsessed. Get the recipe for our no-bake cookie dough here (you’ll need ~ a half batch to stuff and top all of your cupcakes).
To make the cupcakes, you’ll start by making vegan buttermilk by combining soy milk and apple cider vinegar. We prefer soy milk here because it’s thick, creamy, and it curdles well. You can use another nondairy milk but it may not curdle as well.
Then, into a large mixing bowl you’ll combine:
Baking soda, baking powder and salt
Once that’s whisked together, you’ll add in:
The milk mixture
And vanilla extract
Finally, once you’ve mixed that together, you’re going to whisk in warm water until you have a silky smooth batter. Portion the batter into cupcake molds and bake at 350°F until they’re fully cooked and nice and fluffy.
While they’re in the oven, make a smooth buttercream of just:
Vegan butter (we use these sticks)
Either use a knife or a piping bag to frost the cooled cupcakes (we prefer using a Wilton 2D tip).
If you love cake, check out these other recipes!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup soy milk (or another thick nondairy milk)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups flour measured correctly*
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup warm water
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan buttery sticks
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1+ tbsp nondairy milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two cupcake pans with ~18 cupcake liners.
- Whisk the soy milk and vinegar together and let sit for about 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda & powder, and salt.
- Add the milk mixture, oil, and vanilla to the dry mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Add in the warm water and mix until the batter is smooth and silky.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners, filling each up ~3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean or with just crumbs on it (don’t overcook or they turn out dry).
- For the buttercream, add the vegan butter to a mixing bowl. Beat for a couple minutes, until fluffy.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and cocoa powder and beat until combined.
- Add 1 tbsp milk and vanilla continue to beat. Add more milk, as necessary, until you reach the desired consistency. If the frosting gets too liquidy, add more powdered sugar. You want a smooth but firm consistency.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled**, spread or pipe the frosting (we prefer a Wilton 2D tip). Keep plain or add any toppings you’d like!