There are two kinds of people in this world: people who like carrot cake and people who’ve never tried carrot cake.
Look, we get it. Carrots… in cake? It seems weird, but it’s absolutely amazing. Plus:
a) you don’t really taste the carrots
b) they give it so. much. moisture.
And, putting a vegetable in your cake means it’s perfectly acceptable to eat this cake for breakfast. And who doesn’t want cake for breakfast?
Carrots, of course (shred them yourself for the best outcome!)
Flour (measured correctly)
Nondairy milk + ac vinegar
Vegan sour cream (we love THIS kind!)
Baking soda, Baking powder, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, & Salt
Vegan cream cheese (THIS is our favorite!)
Vegan butter (THIS is our favorite brand)
Vegan Carrot Cake
For the carrot cake:
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk + 1 tbsp ac vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour measured correctly*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups freshly shredded carrots**
For the buttercream:
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese slightly softened***
- 1/2 cup vegan butter slightly softened***
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- a splash of nondairy milk
- Crushed walnuts optional
Make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line and grease two 8″ pans.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk the milk and vinegar. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the brown sugar, sugar, sour cream, oil, vanilla, and milk mixture and mix. Add in the dry mixture and blend until combined.
- Fold in the carrots.
- Pour even amounts of batter into each of your pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Make the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the buttery sicks and cream cheese. Beat until fluffy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Add nondairy milk as necessary to reach desired consistency.
Assemble the cake:
- Once the cake layers are chilled, pipe or spread buttercream on top of the first layer, then top with another cake layer. Top with a final layer of buttercream. Decorate with walnuts, if desired!