For Day 2 of the 12 Days of Vegan Christmas, we are sharing the recipe for these Double Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies. These cookies are perfectly soft with a crunchy sugar coating and are topped with a dollop of chocolate ganache and vegan sprinkles. They are the perfect Christmas cookie!
For day 1 of the 12 Day of Vegan Christmas, we shared the recipe for Creamy Alfredo Casserole! Stay tuned for the remaining 10 recipes.
For this cookie recipe, you’ll make the chocolate cookies, a chocolate ganache, and finish with some sprinkles.
For the cookies
- all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- cocoa powder
- baking soda
- vegan butter
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- nondairy milk
- pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate ganache
- vegan chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- oat or soy milk
And finally, for topping, use your favorite vegan sprinkles!
How to make
You’ll start by making a delicious chocolate cookie dough, then rolling out balls of dough and coating in sugar. You’ll press little divots in them using the bottom of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, then freeze the dough until solid – this’ll help avoid getting cracks in the cookies as they bake.
While the cookies cool, you’ll make a delicious chocolate ganache. You’ll place a dollop of the chocolate ganache into each cookie. Finally, top with some cute sprinkles. Once the chocolate has set, these cookies are ready to eat and taste absolutely delicious.
You may also like
Double Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (187 g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- 1/2 cup (50 g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (66 g) granulated sugar +3 tbsp (37 g) for rolling
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) nondairy milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (84 g) vegan chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oat or soy milk
- Vegan sprinkles
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, brown sugar, and 1/3 cup (66 g) of sugar. Beat with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the milk and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Place the remaining 3 tbsp (37 g) of sugar in a small bowl. Roll tablespoon-sized (~18 g) balls of dough in the sugar.
- Using the bottom of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, press divots into the centers of each ball of dough. Freeze until solid, about 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the prepared balls of dough on the baking sheets, leaving room in between each.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Once you remove the cookies, press into the centers again, if needed, to help retain the shape. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the chocolate chips into a heat-safe bowl. Heat the milk in the microwave or on the stovetop until it begins to simmer. Pour over the chocolate and let set about three minutes, then whisk until very smooth and creamy.
- Place a dollop of chocolate into each cookie divot then top with sprinkles. Leave at room temperature or refrigerate until set. Enjoy!