This delicious sun-dried tomato pasta dish is super easy to make and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner option. It’s creamy and perfectly seasoned making for a dish that’s sure to please everyone! So, what are you waiting for? Make this for dinner tonight paired with your favorite vegan sausage or chicken.
This dish pairs a creamy, flavorful sauce with penne pasta or your favorite. If you have the following on hand, get cooking (and if you don’t, hurry to the store to get them — we’ve linked some of our favorite brands)!
- sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- vegetable broth (we like to use bouillon vegetable base mixed with water)
- plain unsweetened rice milk
- Italian seasoning
- dried basil
How to make this creamy dish
- First, cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
- Next, make the sauce! Start by adding a jar of sun-dried tomatoes (with the oil) along with a chopped onion to a large skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Stir in some minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute.
- Next, whisk in flour to make a roux. Stir in vegetable broth and rice milk and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and add paprika, Italian seasoning, dried basil and salt. Let cook for a few minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Finally, stir in the cooked pasta and serve topped with vegan parmesan and fresh basil!
You may also like
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- 16 oz (453 g) penne pasta
- 1 (8.5 oz [240 g]) jar julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil with spices
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup (41 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable broth
- 2 cups (480 ml) plain unsweetened rice milk
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp (11 g) salt
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain, rinse and set aside. If desired, toss in a bit of oil to keep from sticking.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add the sun-dried tomatoes (with the olive oil from the jar) and the chopped onion. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and let cook for 30 seconds to a minute, until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour until it is fully combined.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth and rice milk until fully combined. Increase the heat to high and bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Turn the heat down, bringing the mixture to a simmer. Stir in the paprika, Italian seasoning, dried basil and salt.
- Let cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until sauce thickens.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and serve topped with parmesan and basil.