This cookie cake is soft, chewy, and completely gluten-free! And (as always) it’s vegan! It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion.
You need eleven simple ingredients for this cookie cake:
- gluten-free oat flour (measured correctly)
- gluten-free all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- baking soda
- vegan butter
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- nondairy milk
- pure vanilla extract
- vegan chocolate chips
How to make this cookie cake
First, you’ll start by making a gluten-free chocolate chip cookie dough. In place of all-purpose flour, you’ll use a mixture of gluten-free oat flour and gluten-free all-purpose flour. You’ll bake the dough in a round 9″ cake pan until lightly golden-brown, then allow it to cool completely.
Next, you’ll make an easy vegan buttercream. You can keep this vanilla or make it chocolate!
Finally, you’ll decorate the cookie cake with the frosting and sprinkles.
You may like these other gluten-free desserts
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
For the Cookie Cake
- 1 cup (88 g) gluten-free oat flour (spooned-and-leveled or weighed)
- 1/2 cup (62 g) gluten-free all-purpose flour (spooned-and-leveled or weighed)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (84 g) vegan butter*, slightly softened*
- 1/3 cup (73 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (66 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (126 g) vegan chocolate chips, plus more for top
For the buttercream
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan butter*, slightly softened*
- 1 cup (125 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp nondairy milk, plus more as needed
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (7 g) cocoa powder (optional for chocolate frosting)
- Vegan sprinkles
- Make the cookie cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a round 9" pan (we also like placing parchment paper on the bottom).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch.
- In separate large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the milk and vanilla and beat until creamy.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle desired amount of extra chocolate chips on top and gently press into the dough. If desired, you can also top with mini chips and chunks.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until lightly golden-brown. Allow to cool, then transfer to a serving platter (removing parchment paper if necessary).
- Make the buttercream: In a medium-sized mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and powdered sugar until light and creamy. Add the milk, vanilla, and cocoa powder (if using) and beat until creamy. Add more milk, as needed, to reach a creamy but firm consistency.
- Decorate: Place the frosting Into a piping bag fitted with a tip of choice. Pipe around the edges. Top with sprinkles, if desired. Serve by cutting into desired amount of slices.