These subs will satisfy even a meat-lover’s appetite. The “meatballs” are made using vegan ground beef, making these subs reminiscent of the classic ones. They’re topped with a vegan cheese sauce that’s melty, stretchy, and absolutely delicious.
The “meatballs” are made with the following simple ingredients:
- vegan ground beef
- vegan bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
The cheese sauce require just four ingredients:
- vegan butter
- all-purpose flour
- plain unsweetened rice milk
- vegan mozzarella shreds
And to assemble these subs, you just need marinara sauce, sub buns, and vegan garlic butter.
How to make these subs
First, you’ll make the meatballs by combining vegan ground beef with bread crumbs and spices. Form into 16 meatballs and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
Next, add your meatballs to a sauté pan with marinara sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
To make the cheese sauce, you’ll start with a vegan butter/flour roux, then add in rice milk and boil to thicken. Stir in vegan mozzarella cheese until it’s completely melted. Yum!
Finally, you’ll assemble the subs. Slice into each sub bun, slather on a little vegan garlic butter, and broil for a couple minutes until toasty. Add 4 meatballs to each sub, top with some extra marinara from the pan, and finally drizzle some cheese sauce on top.
You may also like
Seitan Philly Cheesesteaks
Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
One-Pot Creamy Garlic Orzo
Vegan Meatball Subs
- 12-16 oz (340-453 g) vegan ground beef, defrosted if frozen
- 1/2 cup (60 g) vegan breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp (3 g) Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp (14 g) vegan butter
- 1 tbsp (7 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) plain unsweetened rice milk
- 1 cup (113 g) vegan mozzarella shreds
- 2 cups (480 g) pasta/marinara sauce
- 4 sub buns
- Vegan garlic butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the meatballs: Add all meatball ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Form into 16 equal meatballs.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour until completely combined. Whisk in the milk until completely smooth. Bring to a gentle boil, then turn the heat to low. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Place the meatballs in an even layer in a large sauté pan. Evenly drizzle with the marinara sauce. Place on medium heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Slice open the buns and spread some garlic butter on the inside of each bun. Broil in the oven for a couple minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Add 4 meatballs to each bun and top with extra marinara sauce and some of the cheese sauce.
Can I use Gardein beef crumbles for this recipe?