Growing up, one of our favorite family meals was lasagna, so of course we had to veganize it. This dish is filled with gluten-free noodles, chickpea & cashew “ricotta” and loaded with veggies. It’s delicious, hearty, and bursting with flavor, we promise you’ll love it!
The “ricotta cheese” is made with the following simple ingredients:
Nutrional yeast, we love this brand
Raw cashews, here is a raw/organic brand
Chickpeas, we love this kind
Veggie Broth, here is an organic brand we love
So simple, why wouldn’t you make it?
Quick note for those thinking of making it (because we know you are!) – don’t forget to give yourself enough prep time to soak the cashews for an hour!
Gluten-Free Chickpea & Cashew Veggie Lasagna
One of our family favorites, turned vegan (and gluten-free)!
- 9 gluten-free lasagna noodles (we used the brand DeBoles rice noodles)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1.5 cups raw cashews, soaked for 1 hour
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup spinach, lightly chopped
- 1 (25 oz.) jar of tomato sauce
- Vegan cheeze for topping, optional
- Step 1 If necessary, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the back of the packaging (the pasta we used did not require prior cooking, so just double check instructions).
- Step 2 Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Step 3 Sauté the onions, mushrooms and garlic (covered) in the olive oil over medium-heat for ~5 minutes.
- Step 4 While the veggies are cooking, blend together the cashews, chickpeas, nutritional yeast, veggie broth, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt.
- Step 5 Add blended cheeze/veggie mix and spinach to the pan of veggies and mix well.
- Step 6 Pour 1/5 of the tomato sauce onto the bottom of a 8×12 baking dish, then layer noodles, more sauce and cheeze/veggie mix.
- Step 7 Repeat this two more times to make three layers.
- Step 8 Finish by topping with the rest of the tomato sauce and a thin layer of vegan cheeze, if desired.
- Step 9 Cover and place in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Step 10 Uncover and let cook for 10 more minutes. Serve!