For Day 3 of our annual Six Vegan Sisters 12 Days of Christmas, we give you this delicious Spinach and Caramelized Onion Dip. We decided to get creative and combine deliciously caramelized onions with kale in this creamy and flavorful dip. It’s the perfect appetizer to share with family and friends during the holidays!
This dish is made up of the following simple ingredients:
- vegan butter
- sweet onions
- vegan mayo
- vegan sour cream or homemade cashew cream (learn how to make here)
- vegan mozzarella cheese shreds
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
How to make
First, you’ll caramelize the onions in some vegan butter. Next, add the kale and allow it to wilt, then stir in all remaining ingredients. Transfer to a greased baking dish, then cook in the oven! It’s super easy and absolutely delicious.
You may also like
Kale & Caramelized Onion Dip
- 1/4 cup (57 g) vegan butter
- 3 medium-sized sweet onions, peeled and sliced thin (can sub any white/yellow onion)
- 3 packed cups (180 g) kale, chopped small
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan mayo
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan sour cream (can sub cashew cream)
- 2 cups (226 g) vegan mozzarella cheese shreds, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Caramelize the onions. Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to low and allow to cook for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and translucent. Stir in the kale and turn the heat to medium high. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until the kale has wilted. Take off heat.
- Make the dip. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and grease a 9" (22 cm) round (or similar sized) baking dish. Add the mayo, sour cream, 1 cup (113 g) of the mozzarella, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to the onion/kale and stir well. Spread into the baking dish and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella evenly on top.
- Cover tightly in foil and bake 15 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the top is bubbly.