We absolutely love the versatility of tofu – there are so many different ways to cook it! This maple sriracha tofu is quickly becoming one of our favorite dishes. It’s perfectly sweet with a delicious kick. Serve this over rice to make it a meal or eat it alone as a side or appetizer. Bonus: it can easily be made gluten-free!
All you need to make this super flavorful dish are the following 9 ingredients:
- extra-firm tofu
- vegetable oil
- maple syrup
- soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- unseasoned rice vinegar
- garlic powder
- crushed red pepper flakes
How to make this flavorful tofu
First, you whip up a batch of crispy tofu by tossing pressed tofu cubes in cornstarch and frying them up in some oil.
Next, you’ll make the sticky sauce by adding water, maple syrup, sriracha, rice vinegar, garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes to a skillet. Bring to a boil and whisk in a cornstarch slurry. Bring to a bubbling simmer and allow the sauce to thicken.
Finally, stir the tofu into the sauce and serve topped with green onions and sesame seeds.
You may also like
Maple Sriracha Tofu
1 batch Easy Crispy Tofu
Maple Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tbsp (7 g) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) + ¼ cup (60 mL) water
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegan sriracha
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) low sodium soy sauce substitute with tamari for gluten free
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Make the Easy Crispy Tofu, then set aside.
Make the Maple Sriracha Sauce
- Make the cornstarch slurry by whisking together the cornstarch and 2 tbsp (30 mL) water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) water, to a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk and bring to a boil, whisking often.
- Whisk in the cornstarch slurry. Bring heat to medium low and cook, whisking for about a minute – until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the crispy tofu and serve topped with green onions and sesame seeds.