This dish pairs crispy tofu and mushrooms with a perfect creamy garlic sauce. It’s a delicious main that’s great served with green beans and mashed potatoes.
The 12 Days of Vegan Christmas
Today is day 7 of our annual 12 Days of Vegan Christmas, where we share 12 holiday-inspired vegan recipes leading up to Christmas day.
Day 1: Creamy Alfredo Casserole
Day 4: Sugar Cookie Dip
Day 5: Loaded Smashed Potatoes
Day 7: Today!
About the dish
You’ll start by tossing chunks of tofu and slices of mushrooms in a mixture of cornstarch and spices, then lightly frying it on the stove.
Next, you’ll use the same pan to lightly brown the cloves of garlic. This will be the base for your creamy garlic sauce, made primarily of vegan butter, garlic, rice milk, and vegetable broth. Finally, combine the sauce with the tofu and mushrooms and serve!
You may also like
Garlic Tofu and Mushrooms
- 1 (14-16 oz [396 – 453) block firm or extra firm tofu (sliced lengthwise into 4 equal slices and pressed)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 8 ounces (226 g) white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan butter
- 3 tbsp (42 g) vegan butter
- 1 head garlic, separated into bulbs and peeled
- 3 tbsp (23 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (480 ml) plain unsweetened rice milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley and vegan parmesan, for topping (optional)
Make the tofu:
- Use your hands to break each piece of tofu into 6-8 pieces, creating roughly torn chunks.
- Place the cornstarch, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk. Add the tofu and mushrooms and carefully stir to coat.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the coated tofu and mushrooms and cook for 7-10 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy, stirring around often. Remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl for later.
Make the sauce
- Using the same skillet, melt the butter over low-medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Stir in the vegetable broth, rice milk and lemon juice.
- Bring the heat to high and the mixture to a boil, stirring. Bring to low and simmer for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Stir in the tofu and mushrooms and serve topped with salt, pepper, and fresh parsley, if desired.