This recipe is sure to impress all your non-vegan friends and family! It is super easy to put together and these sandwiches taste like they came right from the deli.
This recipe makes two huge sandwiches, but you can eat them open faced as four smaller sandwiches.
All you need for this recipe is:
Extra firm tofu (try this brand!)
All purpose flour
Vegan mozzarella (we used So Delicious! We also love how melty Trader Joe’s brand gets)
Vegan parmesan (Follow Your Heart parm is the best!!)
Oil, for frying
This recipe is super easy to throw together and perfect for lunch or dinner (it’s a hearty sandwich!) All you need to do is slice up some tofu in about 1/2 to an inch sized slices (see image), press the tofu (find a how to here!) and coat, fry & assemble your sandwich.
We hope you enjoy!
Try some of our other delicious sandwiches:
Recipe updated April 28, 2020
Crispy Tofu Parm Sandwich
For the tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 cup vegan panko crumbs any type of bread crumbs should work!
- 1/2 cup all pupose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil for frying (other oils should work as well)
- 1 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
For the sandwich
- 12" baguette split between both sandwiches
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce split between both sandwiches
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese split between both sandwiches
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan split between both sandwiches (can skip or add extra mozz if you do not have this on hand!)
- Slice tofu into eight equal pieces. Press the slices of tofu.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix panko crumbs with Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, mix together water and flour.
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, pour a thin layer of oil. Allow it to get hot.
- For each slice of tofu: dip into the flour/water mixture, then coat heavily in panko. Repeat for all slices.
- Lightly fry each slice of tofu for a minute or on each side, until golden-brown and crispy (it gets crispy fast – make sure it doesn't burn!).
- Slice baguette in the middle to create two pieces, then slice each piece lengthwise almost all the way through. Coat the insides of each piece with marinara sauce, then sprinkle vegan cheese and sprinkle vegan parmesan, equally covering each piece.
- Place in the oven on low broil until cheese is melted (alternatively, you can grill on a frying pan to melt cheese).
- Add tofu and create your sandwiches (they're pretty massive, but delicious!) or enjoy open faced.