These cookies are soft, chewy, and dipped into a delicious maple-flavored glaze. They’re topped off with some sprinkles for a cute and tasty crunch.
The 12 Days of Vegan Christmas
Today is day 8 of our annual 12 Days of Vegan Christmas, where we share 12 holiday-inspired vegan recipes leading up to Christmas day.
Day 1: Creamy Alfredo Casserole
Day 4: Sugar Cookie Dip
Day 5: Loaded Smashed Potatoes
Day 8: Today!
For the gingerbread cookies, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- baking soda
- ginger, cinnamon and cloves
- vegan butter
- granulated sugar
- light or dark brown sugar
- non-dairy milk
- pure vanilla extract
For the maple glaze, you’ll need:
- vegan butter, softened
- maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- nondairy milk
- maple extract (optional)
Finally, you’ll top these off with some vegan sprinkles.
You can make lots of variations of these cookies! Here are a few options:
- Peppermint: Replace the maple extract in the glaze with mint extract, then top the cookies with crushed candy canes.
- White Chocolate: Dip these cookies into melted vegan white chocolate rather than the maple glaze. Top them with sprinkles, crushed candy canes, or chopped up peppermint bark!
- Frosted: Swirl some vegan vanilla frosting on top of these cookies
- Sandwich Cookies: Swirl some vegan vanilla or maple frosting on the bottom of one cookie, then top with another cookie.
You may also like
Maple Glazed Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups (281 g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly*)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp (6 g) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (5 g) ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 cup (169 g) vegan butter, softened*
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) molasses
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (28 g) vegan butter, softened
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 cup (125 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) nondairy milk, plus more as needed
- 1/2 tsp maple extract (optional)
- Vegan sprinkles
- Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line three baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, sugar and molasses. Beat until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla and beat again until smooth and creamy.
- Add about half of the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined. Add the rest and mix until just combined.
- Roll out ~1.5 tbsp (22 g) balls of dough. Place on the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2″ (5 cm) between each.
- Bake in the oven for 9-11 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl, beat all ingredients. Add more milk, as needed, to create a slightly thick glaze that is able to be easily dipped into.
- Dip each cookie into the glaze and place on parchment paper or wax paper. Immediately top with sprinkles, allow to set, and enjoy!
- Measure your flour using the spoon-and-level method.
- For best results, you should use vegan buttery sticks. You should soften for 30 minutes to one hour before using.