These bars are lightly sweetened (allowing the flavor and sweetness of the dates to shine!), making them a perfect treat for morning or night. They have two layers of oat crumble surrounding a soft date filling and are absolutely delicious.
The 12 Days of Vegan Christmas
Today is day 10 of our annual 12 Days of Vegan Christmas, where we share 12 holiday-inspired vegan recipes leading up to Christmas day.
Day 1: Creamy Alfredo Casserole
Day 4: Sugar Cookie Dip
Day 5: Loaded Smashed Potatoes
Day 10: Today!
You need just 8 simple ingredients (+ water) for these bars:
- pitted dates
- pure vanilla extract
- packed light brown sugar
- vegan butter softened
- all-purpose flour
- traditional oats
- baking soda
There’s also an option to add a touch of cinnamon, if you’d like.
You may also like
Date Crumble Bars
- 12 oz (2 1/2-3 cups) pitted dates, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (169 g) vegan butter softened
- 3/4 cup (165 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (187 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (140 g) traditional oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- Make the date filling: Add the dates and water to a stockpot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then decrease the heat to medium-low. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the dates soften/break apart and the mixture has thickened (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 9"x13" (23×33 cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Add the butter and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until well creamed. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon (if using) and beat until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Place half of the dough into the prepared pan. Press into the pan in an even layer. Bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread the date mixture evenly overtop. Top with the remaining dough, evenly sprinkling overtop. Gently press the dough into the date mixture. Bake for another 35 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Allow to cool completely, then slice into 24 bars.